Andrew S's Reviews > Letter to a Christian Nation

Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris

Jul 11, 2011

it was ok

Harris presents Atheist issues against Christianity and gives brief support for each issue.
Warning for Christians: Harris' tone will offend you. My advice, get over it. If you are able to remove yourself from the emotion brought on by Harris' tone, you will be able to see the value of the book inspite of your disagreement with what is being said.
If Christians actually lived like Jesus said to live (Matthew 5-7), Atheists would have less to complain about. There will always be the God issue but Atheists would find it difficult to have issue with the way Christians live their lives and the way they interact with others.
Harris presents interesting arguments against God and morality. For example, how can there be a good God if he allows evil to exist? His attack against scripture is poor. He mostly cites the Old Testament (I thought this was a letter to a Christian Nation) and ignores many of the perceived shortcomings of the New Testament. His biggest problem is context. You can make many arguments against Christianity and still keep within the context of the passage of scripture.
Overall I thought the book was a good intro to Atheism. I recommend this book to Christian Bible studies and to those interested in Atheism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letter to a Christian Nation.

July 11, 2011 – Shelved