Andria's Reviews > Shirley

Shirley by Susan Scarf Merrell

bookshelves: adult-fiction, audiobook

I could not have found a better book to wrap up my 'year of reading Shirley,' especially immediately after reading her new biography, Shirley Jackson: A Rather Haunted Life. Now I feel like I "really know" her, and what it was like to live with her. A fictionalized account of a young academic and his wife living with Shirley and her husband (Stanley Hyman) for a year in Bennington VT, this is nearly as well-researched as her bio. Many events that really happened are recounted or alluded to here, such as the rowdy house party attended by Dylan Thomas that spilled out into the snow-covered yard. This has been described as a psychological thriller, and there is a thread of mystery spun around the circumstances of a young girl whose disappearance had inspired Ms Jackson's story, "The Missing Girl," but I'm not sure thriller is the right word to use here. I'm also not sure how appealing this book would be to someone who isn't a huge Shirley Jackson fangirl, but I found it immensely satisfying. The audiobook version was great - the way the reader did Shirley's voice sounded exactly like I imagined it, husky from bourbon and cigarettes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shirley.

Started Reading