Brooke's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Jul 11, 2011

bookshelves: kindle, netgalley-slash-egalley, favourites, nerd-alert
Read from August 20 to 27, 2011

4.5 stars.

This book was clever. And I thoroughly enjoyed every page of it.

Ignoring the fact that I'm by no means a 'gaming' addict (Xbox, PlayStation, Computer Games etc.), I thought I'd find it hard to relate to the obvious addiction the characters have to the OASIS. I was pleasantly surprised when I realised that was not by any means the case. I found the plot fast paced, action packed and incredibly detailed.

That being said, I suppose I'll just sum it up as best as I can.

The story is set in the future (2044, if we're being precise) in a world that has succumbed to a global crisis (financial, health, you name it).

James Halliday, the god of online gaming, has passed away. Halliday is famous for his creation of the OASIS (Ontologically Anthropocentric Sensory Immersive Simulation) - a simulated alternate reality used by the masses to escape the unpleasantness of life in the real world. Users can create Avatars and the system is designed to allow, if so desired, complete anonymity. Dying without an heir, Halliday's 'people' share a video in which he reads an excerpt from his Will, detailing instructions for the users of the OASIS to compete in the ultimate treasure hunt. He explains that he has hidden a virtual 'Easter egg' somewhere in OASIS and that the person who finds it will inherit his entire fortune, including the power to control the OASIS. There are three special Keys to be found, each of which unlocks a special Gate. Clearing the Gate gives the user a clue to finding to the next Key. And so on. In the five years following Halliday's passing, millions of hunters, labeled 'Gunters', commence their search for Halliday's egg, all without success.

We are introduced to Wade, a poor 18-year-old boy who is a self confessed Halliday fan and OASIS addict. Wade lives in the Stacks, what would today be called a caravan park, the difference being that caravans are stacked (hence the name) 20 or so high, one on top of the other. Inheriting a multi-billion dollar fortune would appeal to anyone, and for that reason Wade has spent a large part of his life using the OASIS, not only for schooling, but trying to learn anything he could about Halliday and the OASIS, convinced that the key to finding the egg lies somewhere in details of Halliday’s life. Wade's research pays off - he discovers the first key and loses any anonymity he once had, becoming a celebrity quite literally overnight. His discovery comes at a cost - death threats, blackmail and a horde of Gunters ready to give Wade a run for his money.

What ensues is an adrenaline inducing, action packed, edge of your seat race which had me flying through page after page of story, desperate to know who would win the ultimate prize. I was amazed at the sheer volume of information in this book (fictional and otherwise), and I cannot imagine how long it must have taken to write a story like it. The different worlds, games, machines, technologies - everything was explained so well that, despite the volume of information, I was never felt lost or confused. Huge kudos to Ernest Cline, man. Wow.

I loved Wade, he was such a great protagonist. He was easy to love, funny, crazy geeky smart (but the impressive kind of geeky smart... I imagine him as a young Leonard (Big Bang Theory) for some unknown reason), he made me laugh.

The secondary characters were just as memorable; Aech and Art3mis were butt kicking awesome and laugh-out-loud funny, I sort of kind of maybe wish they were my friends.

I'm going to leave it there, as I really don't want to elaborate much more. I've been saying this a lot lately, but I can hardly believe this is only Cline's debut novel. I cannot wait to read more of his work, especially if this book is any indication as to what his work will be like.

Thanks to Netgally for the ARC!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.

08/21/2011 page 48
08/23/2011 page 169
44.0% "This is addictive! And so detailed! It kind of amazes me. I love all of the old school 80s gaming references! The IOI are scummy lowlives. Just sayin'." 3 comments
08/25/2011 page 303
79.0% "I don't think my eyes have read this fast in a long time. I need to know who wins!!"
11/08/2016 marked as: read
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jo (last edited Aug 27, 2011 08:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo I'm so glad you liked this one, Brooke.

I adored Aech and Art3mis, too!

Great review :)

Wendy Darling I can't wait to finish this. Love your review, Brooke! :)

message 3: by Milly (new) - added it

Milly What a well-written review Brooke! I loved it and I'm definitely hooked!!

Brooke Thank you Jo, Milly and Wendy :)

I loved your review too, Jo!

Milly and Wendy - I look forward to seeing hat you both think of it :)