MattA's Reviews > Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories

Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories by Mike Birbiglia

Jul 11, 2011

bookshelves: biography-memoir, essay
Read from July 11 to 16, 2011

If you like a quick read, a quirky read, a humorous read, I would recommend this memoir. I first heard of Mike Birbiglia via This American Life and The Moth podcasts. If you have heard him there and like his storytelling style, I can absolutely recommend this book. Several of his radio pieces were taken from (or were inspiration for) this book, so you might find some of the chapters familiar. He talks mainly about his family, his early experiences with girls, his efforts to start his comedic career, and finally his experiences with sleepwalking.

His storytelling style is consistant throughout the book. Read the first two chapters and if you like what you're reading, finish the book. If not, then stop. I found myself laughing out loud at least once every two-to-three pages throughout the book, which is very rare for me. This was a very pleasing summer read.

P.S. I agree with some of the other comments that the audio version of this book -- if read by the author -- would likely be very good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleepwalk With Me and Other Painfully True Stories.