Lexie's Reviews > The Blazing Star

The Blazing Star by Imani Josey

Jan 08, 2017

bookshelves: first-in-series, ebooks-owned-read

Technically more of a 3.5, but this gets half a star extra just for being steeped in Ancient Egypt (my review, my rules)

Overall I enjoyed this. In some ways this recalled to me a couple of my fav mangas (Ouke No Monshou & Anatolia Story - the first about Egypt the second about the Hittites) as they were also about special modern girls who get thrown back in time because of magic and the will of the Gods, thus finding themselves constantly in peril due to their specialness.

For me my only real grievance was with Alex. TBS is from Portia's POV and for a time she is separated from Alex. When they meet up again we have no real idea how she had spent her time. Portia, and to a certain extent Selene, both got lucky (or it was by the will of Ma'at) in that they wound up at the temple eventually. They both acclimated quickly, but we saw that settling in period.

Alex just seemed to reappear, have a job/life that was easy to sneak away from with no one looking for her and was focused on one thing to the exclusion of common sense. Her actions made little sense to me and her negativity grated on me almost as much as it did on Portia.

The rest of the book I found engaging as hell though. I loved Sikara and Weret, I enjoyed Portia's interactions with her solider Savior and the others. While I think she was a little naive in many ways, I could understand her feelings as to why. I liked Tuya (the Hyksos princess), and even found the enemy to be at least charismatic at times.

The reveal about why the girls were chosen is a bit hastily done and there's a lot of names tossed around that get no context until later (usually with a bit too much let me tell you the history via long info dump) so I found myself forgetting relationship connectors at times.

For anyone wanting to know about romance in here, it's largely understated and doesn't get in the way. Portia keeps her head in the game (mostly, she is still only 16 she gets to dwell a little) and shows a surprising amount of maturity towards it. I do wonder, what with the reveal about the girls' involvement due to Ma'at how that will play out, but if that is Ma'at's wish then it is to the right.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Blazing Star.

December 14, 2016 – Shelved
December 14, 2016 – Shelved as: wishlist-to-buy
December 16, 2016 – Started Reading
December 18, 2016 –
12.0% "Hnn so Portia is batting zero for three right now...tho that converse was a bit scattered."
January 7, 2017 –
23.0% "Portia's Reaction: "What is Waset? What are Kushites? What is Ma'at? (lots of confusion)" My reaction: OMG ITS EGYPT. ITS ANCIENT EGYPT. I feel like Portia's response is more likely for most folk tho right? Like I can't imagine most teens voluntarily read about the socio and eco-political climate of Egypt through various dynasties like I did..."
January 8, 2017 –
44.0% "Dude Portia if you're not seeing straight up demons in their eyes I'll eat a linen shift"
January 8, 2017 – Shelved as: first-in-series