Norine's Reviews > The Hate U Give

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

bookshelves: epic-reads, 2017, all-things-diverse
Read 2 times. Last read March 23, 2017 to April 9, 2017.

"People like us in situations like this become hashtags, but they rarely get justice."

The Hate U Give is an own voices, contemporary, young adult book that is inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. It's the story of Sixteen year old Starr Carter who witnesses the fatal shooting of her (childhood) friend Khalil Harris by a police officer. Starr, Khalil and the police officer are the only ones there the night of the shooting. But the thing is Khalil was unarmed. Soon afterward, his dead is a national headline and of course everybody has his or her opinion on the matter. What everyone wants to know is: what really went down that night? And the only person alive who can answer that is Starr.

For me all of the above was the most non spoilery way to tell you what this book is about. But the thing is ... now you think you know, but in fact you have no idea. By the way If you don't like to be spoiled I strongly suggest you read the book before you read this review. This is the first YA book I read about this sensitive subject matter and I sincerely doubt you will be able to find one that is better executed out there at this time. Angela Thomas sets the bar very high, not just for other YA authors, but for herself also. Starr Carter's voice, point of view and journey of personal growth are very authentically written. Through Starr's point of view we get a glimpse of what growing up black really means and truly feels like when you are from Garden Heigths (and actually one of the fortunate ones). Angela Thomas touches upon the ugly, the bad and also the very very good without overly dramatizing events.

(view spoiler)

I especially appreciate the fact that this book was about so much more than just about the dead of Khalil Harris. Apart from the inevitable consequences of drugs, violence and gang banging in Garden Heights. Angie Thomas also tells the story of a community that respects and looks out for their elders. They also come together when the going gets tough. It's a story about what friendship is supposed to be and what it's not, it's about strong family bonds that stretch beyond being blood relatives. It's about being a young gifted and black girl who feels she can't completely be herself because she goes to a predominantly white school while she lives in "the ghetto". It's about finding your voice and eventually standing up for what you believe in. It's about the beauty, the strength and the complexity of being black. It's about what it truly feels like to be black in an institutional racist society.

Let's just say that I get the hype, I get the 13-house auction bidding war and hell they've already picked an actress to portray Star in the movie ... and they better do this book justice.

Oh... almost forgot. If anybody deserves an Audie award for breathing life into all of these characters in the most literal sense .... can they please just hand an award to Bahni Turpin?! Absolutely phenomenal job on the audiobook.

After all the aforementioned, why did it take so long to post a review?! Well, I started re-reading this book immediately after I finished it. Just so you know, up till now I never re-read anything!! And yes, I read about 460 pages twice, out of my own free will and back to back!!

Needless to say that I highly recommend this book. This is of course a no brainer 5 out of 5 stars easy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hate U Give.

December 14, 2016 – Shelved
March 22, 2017 – Finished Reading
March 23, 2017 – Started Reading
page 16
page 16
3.6% "I finished the audiobook on the 22nd of March, on the 23nd I decided I needed to experience this again ... re-teading each and every syllable"
April 1, 2017 –
31.0% "Yep, I started re-reading as soon as I finished the 1st time. It's still a 5 star read the second time around."
April 2, 2017 –
52.0% "This is where I find out, my brain totally blocked out chapter 13 cause none of the events seem familiar ...."
April 9, 2017 –
83.0% "Chapter 21 contains - even the second time around is the most real, honest and heartbreaking dialogue from a son to his dysfunctional mother. Imma have 2 digest this"
April 9, 2017 – Shelved as: all-things-diverse