Angie's Reviews > Flames Like Vines

Flames Like Vines by Sara Raasch

Jan 26, 2017

liked it
bookshelves: online-only, fantasy, young-adult

Synopsis:"She was part of Summer, and Summer was part of her, and this land wouldn't abandon her too."

Ceridwen Preben, princess of Summer, has spent her life plotting against her brother, Simon, the Summerian king. Simon has embraced the ruling family's reputation for using their conduit to keep their subjects in a state of bliss, and has spent his reign slowly driving Summer into ruin, filling everyone with carelessness and letting them turn a blind eye to Summer's rampant -- and deadly -- slave trade. But Ceridwen refuses to let her kingdom disintegrate, and with the help of her fellow rebel-in-arms, Lekan, she hopes to undo Simon's lethal dealings.

But when Ceridwen uncovers Simon's deadliest plot yet, she starts to realize just how deep magic runs -- and that even though her kingdom is one of sunlight, with light, there always comes shadows."

My Review: This was a good and quick novella, I don't think it is necessary to the series but it does give a good peek into the dynamics of the Summer Kingdom. I appreciate Ceridwen a little more but most of all I really liked to learn more about Lekan and why he is always by her side when he could leave. You also find out why Ceridwen's anger is so high at the end of book 2 (but you really need to read book 2 first).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flames Like Vines.

December 14, 2016 – Shelved