Brittany (Nice Girls Read Books)'s Reviews > Inside Out

Inside Out by Maria V. Snyder

Jul 11, 2011

What an exciting and interesting read. I was a little wary of heading off into another dystopian soon after Enclave, but I’m glad I did. I’ll definitely be following Trella’s story in Outside In. And what a twist!

Admittedly, the first few chapters were a little slow and this put me off the story initially. Our main hero, Trella, was an enjoyable character from start to finish, though, and her personality made me want to press on despite the slow-developing plotline. This, however, changed as we progressed through Inside Out and I found myself thoroughly enjoying the story as it went on.

There are so many mysteries in the world of Inside, and most are left unquestioned by it’s inhabitants. I found myself wanting the answers, and as the pace picked up I found I was unable to put the book down until I found them! The world is so intricate, with many hidden layers and meanings. It’s impossible not to get swept away in all the action.

I was impressed especially with Logan and Anne-Jade, the ‘Tech Nos’, who proved to be amazingly creative characters. Once all the Scrubs began to help Trella, and her relationship with Riley – the Upper – became the focus of the book, I found myself more drawn in than I had been before. Maria V. Snyder is a master world-builder, and I find myself surprised that this is only one of eight books so far. Her writing quality is so impressive that I’d expected her to have more books out on the shelves!

I won’t give away the ending or the big ‘reveal’ about Gateway and ‘Outside’, but I will say I was shocked and not at all expecting Maria to take the story in that direction. I guess it makes sense, but I honestly didn’t see it coming! I’m eagerly awaiting the re-appearance of a character, too. Did they survive? The book left off on a startling discovery, one that I can’t wait to see questioned and explored. Needless to say, I’ll definitely be turning my attention over to Outside In in the very near future – it’s already on my shelf!

If you haven’t read any books by Maria V. Snyder before, I suggest you pick this one up. This was my first and I was definitely impressed. I have her Study series on my shelf, too, and you can bet that I’ll be delving into them.

Recommended to: Fans of dystopian fiction will love Inside Out.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside Out.

July 11, 2011 – Shelved