C.G. Drews's Reviews > Queens of Geek

Queens of Geek by Jen  Wilde

bookshelves: 4-star, aussie-authors, autism, contemporary, read-2017, young-adult

This was really rather spectacularly adorkable. It is a sweet piece of rainbow fluff I tell you. RAINBOW FLUFF. Which is both good and bad because on one side: it's uplifting, encouraging, and cute. Buuuuut, on the other side it is kind of insubstantial because everything was so perfect and all the characters were like perfect potatoes and AS MUCH AS I LOVE POTATOES, no one is a perfect potato all the time. Some of us are kind of mouldy zucchini at times.

Excuse me. The vegetable analogy ends now.

LET'S PROCEED FORWARD.

So the book basically takes place over 3 days with three friends going to a SupaCon nerd thingie. The very first thing you need to know is....THEY ARE AUSTRALIAN!!!! THIS IS AN AUSTRALIAN AUTHOR!!! AUSTRALIAAAAAAAAA. (Hello, I'm Australian can you tell.) And it. is. so. super. geeky. Like think of all the geek you can think of and mULTIPLY IT BY 6. So basically I was in heaven. There were Supernatural references, it was all about youtube and tumblr, and vlogging, and they talked about Felicia Day and a TON of movies and TV show references. I even got some of them!!! Even though I am like a small froot loop who doesn't watch a lot of TV!!! (My TBR kind of takes over my life, mate.) So basically this book IS queen of the geek. Bless it.

I also loved aaaaall the diversity. Do you know how many books I've read about Autistic girls? TWO. TWOOOOOOO. That makes me mad every time because: hello Autistic girls are not mythical creatures. So this not only (a) provides much needed visibility, it also (b) is a fantastic representation, and (c) is not all about the dark side of being Autistic but all the seriously abso-freaking-loutely great parts about Autism. YAY FOR ASPIE GIRLS.

It's dual narrated by Taylor (Autistic) and Charlie (bisexual and Asian). And I loved them both! They had distinct voices and personalities and they were epic friends. And then they had their bud Jamie along too and he and Taylor are like THE OTP (they were so nerdy together and sweet and kind) while Charlie meets a vlogger girl she's had a crush on foreeeever at the con and they make a vlog and Charlie's so nervous because this is like her HERO and it's adorable.

SMALL LIST OF LOVES:
• so much nerd and geek
• how fun the dialogue was
• it was cheesy but then it made me smile so whaaaaa lemme have a moment of happy
• glitter, rainbows, happy, hot pink hair, fangirling = this book
• it's really respectful of diversity and minorities and all the characters are really open minded and kind
• I underlined like sooooo much of it, mate, so much

SMALL LIST OF NOPES:
• so. like I might have mentioned: everyone was perfect??
• like there are hiccups as the story progresses but...everyone was...perfect
• so while the characters were fun, they were a bit like caricatures of what the best kind of human should look like according to tumblr
• while the Autism rep was good, it also brushed over sensory overload and stimming which, in a highly anxious inducing environment like a convention, was not realistic
• the romance is pretty much instalove
• instalove everywhere, look at it flapping about like butterflies of unrealistic happy
• there was a ridiculous amount of perfect monologue soliloquies which, while I agreed 100% with what they were saying about love! Acceptance! Being yourself! Not being broken! Accepting anxiety! Believing in yourself! Being comfortable with your body and weight! Not judging people! ALL THE ABOVE!!!! ...it also felt a little like the book was reading off a list of tumblr inspirational posts. Like woah. ???? The dialogue stopped being natural and fun at the end because it was cramming in all these messages. GOOD MESSAGES. But delivered almost in sermon form???

ALL IN ALL: Look this book is the CUTEST and you need it. I was smiling ridiculously much and underlining like crazy. The diversity was poignantly written and beautiful and complex. I loved reading about an ASD girl who was a huge fangirl and didn't fall into stereotypes and was all about living life without being ashamed of differences. I loooooved how they were Aussie. And all the fandom references were AMAZING. It's light and fluffy which generally isn't my thing so like I don't feel this book is going to change my life or stick with me forever?? But I had fun.

EXCEPT NOTE: the most absolutely ridiculously unrealistic thing in this book was how Taylor was carrying around a boxset to be signed and she fit it in her backpack. We're talking huge fantasy books and lots of 'em. Like woah woman. What kind of backpack do you have and is it Hermione's and I want one.

*** QUOTES ***
taken from the ARC so are subject to be changed

Anxiety isn't an attack that explodes out of me; it's not a volcano that lies dormant until it's triggered by an earth-shattering event. It's a constant companion.

"History and experience have proven to me that it's very hard for people to understand, and all too easy for them to judge."

"You can't pick and choose whose equality you support. That's not equality."

Embarrassed, I changed the subject. "Shh! I think Dean is about to do something awesome."
"Dean is always about to do something awesome."
"Exactly."

#SupernaturalAppreciationMoment

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queens of Geek.

December 14, 2016 – Shelved
December 14, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
February 21, 2017 – Started Reading
February 21, 2017 –
20.0% "Combining intense fandom life with Autism and ACCURATE PORTRAYAL OF ANXIETY??????
Excuse me while I be in love."
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: 4-star
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: autism
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
February 21, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
February 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Elise (TheBookishActress) Oh, can't wait to read your review! I'm excited for this one.

message 2: by Figgy (new) - added it

Figgy Oooh, I requested this one! Hope it shows up!

Looking forward to your review!

mags Okay but the fact that this has supernatural references in it just made me 100x more excited for it than I already was

message 4: by Figgy (new) - added it

Figgy YAAAAAAY! AUSSIES!!!!!

Great review, and super looking forward to getting my hands on this!

message 5: by Devon (new)

Devon Munn Maybe this book can Inspire you to search for books featuring Autistic characters

message 6: by Ellen Gail (new)

Ellen Gail Great review Cait! This looks delightful! It always makes me smile to see how amazingly representative and inclusive YA books are becoming these days.

And feel free to throw in more vegetable analogies. I really wanted to make a pun about your review being fresh and crisp (like a carrot or something?) but nothing's coming to me. I'm fresh out of puns.

message 7: by Hanifa (new) - added it

Hanifa Q my eye just decided to stop scanning once it came across the sentence "bisexual and Asian". yes to this!

C.G. Drews @adaline: I know right?!? Any book with Supernatural references is immediately the best.

C.G. Drews @Ellen: I shall accept all compliments for terrible vegetable apologies and puns. I hope a good pun turnips for you. GET IT??? BECAUSE TURN UP = TURNIPS. HAHAHAHAH *dies with own stunning wit*

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Cait: I was kind of hesitant to try it too because the cover is too pink for me. XD But definitely worth it!! So cute!

message 11: by Brinkley (new) - added it

Brinkley Fun fact: You, me, and the author of this book are all female and autistic! (I left out Australian, as I am from the US of A.)

Anyway, can I just COMMEND YOU PLEASE for the "autistic girls are not mythical creatures" comment? If my life were a novel, I'm not dating a vampire (although why would I want to?). I'm not a mermaid (although I spend a lot of time in the water, so I might as well be one. Also: I'm a Cancer, which is a water sign). I don't ride on dragons or play at being queen of the fairies (sad face) or turn into Remus Lupin every time I get my period. I don't attend Ilvermorney (double sad face), and I can't see the future through my glasses.

As you can see, the novel of my life is a contemporary--no magic and myth whatsoever (triple sad face--fantasy is my favorite). And yet, autistic females are the centaurs of contemporary YA lit--have you ever read a book PRIMARILY about centaurs? I didn't think so. And here's the question that will earn you a million figurative bucks if you say yes: Have you ever read a book PRIMARILY about an autistic, female main character? Well, I know you have, but On The Edge of Gone is sitting on my shelf, unread, begging me for mercy. So, no for me.

I AM DONE WITH BEING A CENTAUR. I want to be a dragon, or a faerie, or a mermaid, or a hobbit, or something cool like that. Not a centaur. (No offense to centaurs everywhere). And I AM SO GLAD that more and more authors are waving their wands with Surprisingly Swishy Flexibility and turning us into dragons or mermaids or werewolves. Look at The Love Letters of Abelard and Lily. And Kat and Meg Conquer the World. And Queens of Geek. And On the Edge of Gone. And Things I Should Have Known. (Yes, I included girls with ADHD, because they are fire-breathing polar bears, another thing I have never read a book about).

Thank You, Cait. And Thank You, authors.

message 12: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Ehhhh
Maybe read lol

message 13: by Tandie (new)

Tandie "Anxiety isn't an attack that explodes out of me; it's not a volcano that lies dormant until it's triggered by an earth shattering event. It's a constant companion." Gah! I need to read this book. Anxiety + me = constant companions! I so want to break up, but it's a way of life. Great review Cait the Great :D

message 14: by Vicky (new) - added it

Vicky Terrific review Cait.

baz-you're-flammable I agree with everything you said! But also, I think we can say for sure that Reese is NOT a perfect character?