C.G. Drews's Reviews > Forget Me Not

Forget Me Not by Ellie Terry

bookshelves: middle-grade, disability, read-2018, contemporary

This was so sweet and heartfelt and...and...emotions. omg who asked for these. It's a really quick read too, because it's mostly written in verse. And can we just say how important it is to have #ownvoices disability rep books?! Because yes.

It's about Callie and Jinsong.
Callie's mother is always getting new boyfriends and then leaving town when things go bad. So this time they end up living next to Jinsong's family. Idk, are they 12 maybe?? But their friendships is nonexistent at first because Jinsong is extremely peer pressured and doesn't want to be seen being around the "Freak Girl". Because Callie has tics. And she can't explain them because when she was diagnosed, her doctor said: "don't tell people, no one understands Tourette's."

And I love how the book unpacked that?! The author's note said that was exactly what she got told on diagnosis and this whole book is a joyous shout to the sky that WE NEED TO SHATTER STIGMAS and talk about these things!

It was kind of hard to like Jinsong???
He's aching to be friends and help Callie, but he won't because he doesn't want to get bullied. Like, I get it. But also afjshgosghs. It was a very loud message to not abandon those who need friends.

The verse aspect was really nice!
Granted it took me like 20 pages to realise it was dual-narrated by both of them lol lol. 1st person dual narrations will be the cause of my early death bUT ANYWAY. I loved Callie's voice and her anxiety, OCD, and Tourette's was portrayed with such heart (and also pain)...and knowing it was #ownvoices was especially good because you know already it's such an accurate portrayal.

So read this one?! YES. I don't read a lot of MG but good books are for any ages right?! And this was very quick and had a lovely style and important message.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forget Me Not.

December 13, 2016 – Shelved
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2018 – Started Reading
December 23, 2018 – Shelved as: middle-grade
December 23, 2018 – Shelved as: disability
December 23, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
December 23, 2018 – Shelved as: contemporary
December 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Krystal (new) - added it

Krystal I'm still trying to overcome this ridiculous mental barrier that says YA is fine but I'm too old for MG XD

Laura Just put this on hold at my library. Thanks for the recommendation! :)