Rebbie's Reviews > Everything I Never Told You

Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng

liked it
bookshelves: 2017

This book is too much for me to deal with right now. Right book, wrong timing. Some people might think the writing is a little hammy or overly done, but my biggest issue is my lack of attachment to the characters in the face of such serious issues.

It's definitely a dark book, which proved to be more than I can handle emotionally at the moment, so about halfway through I started skimming to the end. I wasn't surprised by the ending, so I obviously got the gist of the last half of it just fine. Oh well! You win some, you lose some.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything I Never Told You.

December 13, 2016 – Shelved
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 26, 2017 – Started Reading
January 26, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
February 3, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Justin I felt the same way about this one, but I disliked it much more. The writing, the characters, I just couldn't do it.

message 2: by Margitte (new)

Margitte And so it goes. Sometimes it's not the book it's me, right? Right now I need a light no-brainer. I'm getting depressed with all the 'heavies'. Need to read something hopeful, not too soppy, and just nice. lolol.

Rebbie Justin wrote: "I felt the same way about this one, but I disliked it much more. The writing, the characters, I just couldn't do it."

IIRC, you wrote a review for this one. I could've sworn you did, because I remember reading it and enjoying your refreshing honesty. Also, I'm pretty sure that some wack-a-doo made a rude comment to you, as if everyone in the world is supposed to agree on books!

Rebbie Margitte wrote: "And so it goes. Sometimes it's not the book it's me, right? Right now I need a light no-brainer. I'm getting depressed with all the 'heavies'. Need to read something hopeful, not too soppy, and jus..."

I just finished Where'd You Go Bernadette, and it was exactly as you describe. Sometimes you just need a relaxing, fun read. I recommend that one or Anne of Green Gables. You can't go wrong with good ol' Anne!

Justin Haha yeah I remember that. I get kinda crazy with my one star reviews at times.

message 6: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Rebbie wrote: "Margitte wrote: "And so it goes. Sometimes it's not the book it's me, right? Right now I need a light no-brainer. I'm getting depressed with all the 'heavies'. Need to read something hopeful, not t..."

Both great books! I'm not sure what's the secret behind the charm of "Anne of Green Gables" but I've read it three times. And Bernadette was a ball ! Lolol. Yes, I need to go through the soft and kind stuff for now. :-))

message 7: by DeB (new) - rated it 5 stars

DeB MaRtEnS This novel is a tough one. Very layered, very revealing and masterfully written. "Capital L", literature, which often means that the entertainment value will be zilch. I hated it at first... but my subconscious kept tearing at it, and as my review shows, I loved it in the end. Also, I found it relatable and poignant because my own family of origin basically fractured totally: troubled families do not talk. A book has to meet you when or if you are ready for it. Good that you tried, Rebbie!

message 8: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Sorry it didn't work out right now, Rebbie. I hope your next read is a great one!! :)

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Timing needs to be just right for some books, Rebbie. I've had this on my list for ages and haven't tackled it yet.