Mina's Reviews > The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin

2205523
Jul 10, 2011

Read from July 10 to September 27, 2011

SOOO much better and more useful than Eat, Pray, Love. (Feel even funny comparing them except that they both took a year to pursue happiness.) Rubin researched happiness very thoroughly and then came up with her own plan to month by month increase her happiness. Monthly focus subjects include things like: Lighten up, remember love, be serious about play, pursue a passion.

I started this book, and had to put it down because I began to feel like I should try to incorporate resolutions similar to hers in my life all tomorrow. I have a hard time pacing myself. I finally got back to it by just deciding that I wanted to *read* about happiness, nothing more. There are many lessons to learn. In fact, I want to skim through this and make some notes for my own personal use.

Reading this, I began to feel like Rubin was not just the author, but was becoming my friend. A little silly maybe to say, but her writing style really lent itself to developing a sense of familiarity.

Rubin also has a blog about this project, with tools to help others with their own personal projects. I may check that out. www.happiness-project.com

A favorite quote,

Samuel Johnson: "As the Spanish proverb says, 'He, who would ring home the wealth of the Indies, must carry the wealth of the Indies with him.'"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiness Project.