Colleen M. Chesebro's Reviews > Genteel Secrets

Genteel Secrets by S.R. Mallery

Dec 13, 2016

bookshelves: historical-romance, romance, military, victorian

Anytime S. R. Mallery releases a new book is a great day for the enthusiasts who follow her historical romances. So, you can imagine my excitement when she released, Genteel Secrets, a Civil War romance with a unique twist – Alan Pinkerton, who served as head of the Union Intelligence Service, and who created the famous Pinkerton Detective Agency.

Set in 1861 in Washington, D.C., we are introduced to James Neely, an Irish immigrant who has worked his way out of the slums to become a doctor. In a chance encounter in a city park, he meets Hannah Mayfield, an educated woman from the Confederate South. In addition to their irresistible attraction, is a mutual admiration in the way they both express the politics of the day. Most Southern women do not engage in such things, and James is clearly smitten.

A series of life events interrupts their blossoming love affair. James finds his calling by joining the Pinkerton's, where he is thrust into the middle of an investigation into that of a notorious spy ring, running out in the open within the capital. Little does he know, the elusive Hannah, has been blackmailed into taking part in the political intrigue by members of her own family. The challenge is whether their love can stand the test of time and win out in the end.

However, this story is bigger than James and Hannah's love affair. It is also a political commentary on America's Civil War and the treatment of slaves. It is about loyalty and friendship and the choices people made to keep true to their personal freedom and beliefs.

At the beginning of each chapter, the author inserted quotations that shared the political climate of the times. I enjoyed these passages because it added a sense of credibility to the story. I've added this book to my "Me-Time," category because I loved it so much. I could not turn the pages fast enough to find out what happened next. The ending was unexpected and restored my faith in humanity.

If you like fast-paced historical drama, this is one book you will not want to miss. I loved it!

My Rating:

Character Believability: 5
Flow and Pace: 5
Reader Engagement: 5
Reader Enrichment: 5
Reader Enjoyment: 5
Overall Rate: 5 out of 5 stars
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Genteel Secrets.

December 9, 2016 – Started Reading