Sarah's Reviews > Whispers of Old Winds

Whispers of Old Winds by George Seaton

I was given a copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

This was an unexpected pleasure. An atmospheric paranormal crime story set in the Colorado rockies, I read it in a single sitting, thoroughly captured by the voice of the narrator, a small-town sheriff.

I loved Sam and I loved the complicated characters in Pine Creek. No one is as they first appear and the frightening events in the story push Sam beyond the limits of skills honed through his military experience. When logical law enforcement can’t solve the crimes in Pine Creek, Sam is forced to consider Native American spirituality and Catholic mysticism.

Part of this story is a romance, with Sam re-telling, in non-sequential reflections, his relationship with his husband Michael. Michael and Sam may have started as an unlikely couple but years later they are solid and the affection and care within the marriage is very moving. I really enjoyed the maturity of this post-HEA love story.

I am so glad I requested this book from the blurb, without looking at the cover or reviews for the earlier short story published in 2015. The earlier cover suggests a silly holiday romance and the new cover is a huge improvement. I can’t imagine the many complex strands of this story fitting into 35 pages and I’m guessing earlier negative reviews reflected the discord between what readers expected and the reality of this story.

This paranormal crime story is more horror than holiday romance and the writing is beautifully, thoughtfully crafted. There is some resolution but I really enjoyed the loose threads and questions I was left with at the end. I loved this story and I’m glad to see Dreamspinner Press stretching beyond traditional m/m romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers of Old Winds.

December 13, 2016 – Started Reading
December 13, 2016 – Shelved
December 13, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by George (new) - added it

George Seaton Thank you, Sarah!