C.G. Drews's Reviews > Dear Martin

Dear Martin by Nic Stone

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2017, ya-male-narrators, young-adult

This was super brutal and super good! And so smol...it literally arrived in the mail and I nearly lost it in the packaging. But while I do have some quibbles about the size, ultimately I think it's AMAZING that 200 pages can pack this massive punch. This is the kind of #BlackLivesMatter book that's super important for everyone to read. And as the author's note says, it's: "...an attempt to examine current affairs through the lens of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s teachings." Which was SO great to read and learn about.

I also really adored Justyce! He's like just doing his best and he's super smart and the world just kicks him down. I also liked how he's on the brink of graduation, because it's really nice reading about teens who know what they're doing (HE'S GOING TO YALE) and are off to like change the world. Like, go Justyce. I really admire this dude.

It's of course not an "easy" story either. It's going to thump you in the feels. And the court case scene totally blew me away with how unfair and tangled it was...but like the writing. This book is full of intelligence and it's super well written!

ALOS IT'S WRITTEN IN 3RD PERSON / PRESENT TENSE WHICH IS MY FAVOURITE. You know how hard it is to find books in this style?!? I'm happpppy.

OK so the ONLY quibble I have is that --> being so short, it was hard to SEE everything. I missed out on all the details, the mannerisms, the facial quirks, the smells and sights and tastes. The book is probably 80% straight dialogue? (Often in like a screen-writing format.) So I LIKED that, but (for me personally) I prefer writing that fleshes out the world as well. This also made a lot of the secondary characters are to "get to know" because we just see their dialogue and that's it.

But hey. I love dialogue also!!

Definitely an important narrative that can't be talked about enough. The world needs to change and I'm so glad #ownvoices authors are putting their stories out there to make a difference. It tackles racism and classism head on and it's full of unfairness and character development and letters and hope. <3

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Martin.

December 13, 2016 – Shelved
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 9, 2017 – Started Reading
November 9, 2017 –
page 58
27.62% ""You ever consider that maybe you not supposed to 'fit'? People who make history rarely do."

I LOVE THIS QUOTE."
November 9, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 9, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
November 9, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
November 9, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 9, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Insightful n really good review, Cait!

C.G. Drews Thank you!

Suzanne (The Bookish Libra) Great review! I really loved this book too.

message 4: by K.A. (new) - added it

K.A. Just got this from the library. Can't wait to read!

C.G. Drews @Suzanne: it's so important!

@KA: Yayyy!

C.G. Drews @Gracie: It's a style, so I say do what works for you and your book! I know Aristotle & Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe is like 80% dialogue and I LOVE it, so it depends! I think that one being a bit longer helped though.