C.G. Drews's Reviews > Bang

Bang by Barry Lyga

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2017, foodie-fiction, ya-male-narrators, young-adult

This was such a dark and emotional book. I just...it was GOOD but it was really brutal. It's about a boy who shoots his little baby sister when he's only 4 years old. And like just the ruin of that. It's a HUGE topic to unpack and I can only say I think the book did it absolutely excellently. It's heavy, but it has hope smudged in the corners.

+ So be ye prepared for heavy topics.
Sebastian doesn't remember killing his baby sister, but it's 10 years later and it just hangs over him like the blackest shadow. So he's going to kill himself after the summer. Like this is a book about the saddest boy whose parents can't even look at him. It is sad. It is really really really sad. I really appreciate how it didn't use ANY of the darker topics it explored as "thrills" or ever talked flippantly. It's obviously about depression and PTSD and like it takes proper time to explore the psychological and physical repercussions of that.

+ Sebastian is actually super sweet and super sad.
He's only 14 too, which just makes me ache for him. But I loved his narration! The writing was SO GOOD and just picked up small details to make everything seem complex and real. You know it's a good book when it stops feeling like a book and you're just IN the story.

+ It's also really much about friendship!
Sebastian meets a new girl who just moves in, Aneesa, who is POC and Muslim. I really liked how it talked a lot about how Aneesa felt as a Muslim, and it pointed out lowkey racism and just was really really good, ok?!? And Sebastian's friend, Evans, is also awesome. LIKE THERE IS JUST SO MUCH SOLID AND GOOD FRIENDSHIP HERE. There is a smidge of romance and I really liked how it was handled too. (view spoiler)

+ ALSO THERE IS SO MUCH PIZZA IN HERE.
This is actually A HUGE FOODIE BOOK. Sebastian starts a youtube channel for making pizza and the dude literally makes the BEST and most DELICIOUS sounding pizzas ever. Also he got 10K subscribers over one summer and I will sit here and, ya know, pout. But pizza. I'm hungry.

+ PEOPLES, IT WAS SO FREAKING SAD.
My heart just ACHED for a lot of it. Shout out to books that make you feel stuff. Ugh I need to go faceplant on the floor and just process everything in here. It's horrifying that a 4 year old could EVER get their hands on a loaded gun. It's horrifying that an accident when you're barely more than a toddler could destroy your life. The book captured what it is to be hopeless, but it also captured what it is to find hope and more for your life. GOOD BOOK IS GOOD.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bang.

December 13, 2016 – Shelved
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 13, 2017 – Started Reading
October 13, 2017 –
page 100
32.89% "Me: I should do something fun this weekend.
Me: *LITERALLY PICKS THE SADDEST BOOK EVER TO READ*"
October 14, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 14, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
October 14, 2017 – Shelved as: foodie-fiction
October 14, 2017 – Shelved as: ya-male-narrators
October 14, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

Cri (PaperbacksandPizza) Never heard of this book, but your review really makes me want to read it now! The book sounds interesting and obviously heavy, but since it is well written, it won't stop myself from reading it. Great review, as always, Cait 💖

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

OKAY I OFFICIALLY NEED TO READ THIS BOOK

message 3: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec The talk of his youtube channel growing rapidly and I am just sitting staring at the snail pace movement of my blog numbers...

I'm super close to finishing. Love the review.

message 4: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer another "oh my suffering" type book. pass. I'm miserable all on my own enough already.

C.G. Drews @Cri: I totally recommend it! It's such an underrated one, right?!

@Ilsa: YES. GOOD CHOICE.

@Becca: Same though. 😂 I'm like...it took me 6 years to build what I have AND YOU ARE LIKE A 10 X MORE IN ONE SUMMER. MATE. HOW. (although to be fair maybe we don't make enough pizza??)

message 6: by Bec (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bec Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Cri: I totally recommend it! It's such an underrated one, right?!

@Ilsa: YES. GOOD CHOICE.

Can we do pizza book blogging? Is that a thing we should do?! Do we pizza the book? Or read books about pizzas?

message 7: by idiffer (new) - added it

idiffer though I'm with you all in the "loving pizza" club)) pizza is highly underrepresented in literature, which is a travesty. #pizzapower

EmilyViolet I thought this was a great book too. Lyga handles everything really well; it's heavy but somehow also beautiful.