Darlene's Reviews > Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World

Temple Grandin by Sy Montgomery

I was lucky enough to pick this up from my local library system through Overdrive. My friend, Cheryl, wrote an intriguing review that had me searching it out. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

I had hoped to read while listening but the ebook but it didn't come to me in time. That was okay. It provided my background entertainment while I worked on the charity hats and dolls. The reader, Meredith Mitchell, kept me involved in the story of Temple Grandin's life.

I have read other books about and by Ms. Grandin. Though this book is for young people, I found it more thorough than the others in covering the aspects of autism, living with it and knowing someone who has it. The author was able to bring this disorder to the understanding that a young person would need.

Something that I felt when reading this book and others about autism is that I think there are levels of this that many of us have. The sensitivities Temple had to scratchy clothing or loud noises or too many people or strong light I can relate to. The inability to connect to others, especially in a crowded room, I can understand, too. Knowing that Ms. Grandin found ways to make her disability work for her in her life gives us all inspiration to see how we can overcome our own problems.

Though this is for children, it is neither a short book nor pablum for babies. I felt there was a lot of depth to the stories told and much to learn for all of us. Please, seek it out and see how you like it.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temple Grandin.

December 13, 2016 – Started Reading
December 13, 2016 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: kindle-wishlist (Hardcover Edition)
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: autism (Hardcover Edition)
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: audible-wishlist (Hardcover Edition)
December 13, 2016 – Shelved