Angie's Reviews > Norse Mythology

Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Mar 06, 2017

bookshelves: fantasy

Synopsis: "Introducing an instant classic—master storyteller Neil Gaiman presents a dazzling version of the great Norse myths.

Neil Gaiman has long been inspired by ancient mythology in creating the fantastical realms of his fiction. Now he turns his attention back to the source, presenting a bravura rendition of the great northern tales.

In Norse Mythology, Gaiman stays true to the myths in envisioning the major Norse pantheon: Odin, the highest of the high, wise, daring, and cunning; Thor, Odin’s son, incredibly strong yet not the wisest of gods; and Loki, son of a giant, blood brother to Odin and a trickster and unsurpassable manipulator.

Gaiman fashions these primeval stories into a novelistic arc that begins with the genesis of the legendary nine worlds and delves into the exploits of deities, dwarfs, and giants. Once, when Thor’s hammer is stolen, Thor must disguise himself as a woman, difficult with his beard and huge appetite, to steal it back. More poignant is the tale in which the blood of Kvasir, the most sagacious of gods, is turned into a mead that infuses drinkers with poetry. The work culminates in Ragnarok, the twilight of the gods and rebirth of a new time and people.

Through Gaiman’s deft and witty prose emerge these gods with their fiercely competitive natures, their susceptibility to being duped and to duping others, and their tendency to let passion ignite their actions, making these long-ago myths breathe pungent life again."

My Review: This book had me right at the title. I have never read any Neil Gaiman before so I didn't go in expecting his story telling like many others I have seen. I love Norse Mythology and they have some of my favorite gods and goddesses. I am already pretty familiar with many of the myths so there really wasn't anything new in this book. I do appreciate how he simplified the myths and made them easily accessible to any reader. There is also a handy glossary and the foreword was also very helpful. Of course the cover on this book is stunning as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Norse Mythology.

December 13, 2016 – Shelved