K.E. Coles's Reviews > A Suitable Lie

A Suitable Lie by Michael J. Malone

bookshelves: psychological-thriller, literary-fiction

Wow! What an emotionally powerful read. It’s by far the best fictional account of domestic abuse I’ve read and because of that, very difficult, even painful, to read at times. I found myself longing for Andy, the main character, to be happy again after the tragic death of his first wife.
The way the relationship begins with Anna is so ‘normal’, so believable, that, even though I knew it wouldn’t end well (the blurb suggests as much – and it IS a psychological thriller after all), I was lulled into a false sense of security. I felt his happiness, and that made it even harder to read when things started going wrong.
Dark, disturbing, tragic and frightening, there are nevertheless bright moments, as there would be in real life. Anna’s no two-dimensional villain, but a fully-rounded believable character with her own demons. We rarely hear about male abuse victims, with far too many cases going unreported, and the story explains why that might be. We feel Andy’s shame at his inability to control the situation, feel his desperation. The most heartbreaking thing for me, was Andy’s humiliation (brilliantly realised) and the lengths he goes to in order to hide it from his colleagues and friends. I found that utterly devastating to read.
My thanks to Karen Sullivan at Orenda books for providing me with a copy in exchange for an unbiased review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Suitable Lie.

December 13, 2016 – Shelved