zelle (fragilemyths)'s Reviews > Too Late

Too Late by Colleen Hoover

19862820

bookshelves: contemporary, new-adult

Bloody HELL.

I can't unread this. I can't.

I had some major CoHo withdrawal after reading Slammed, so I stumbled across Too Late, downloaded the ebook, and read it on my phone. I was sucked in from the very beginning, and it was TOO DAMN LATE to turn back and stop.

Too Late was so, so dark. This book may not be suitable for more sensitive and younger readers because of the graphic scenes dealing with issues such as rape, abuse, and hard drugs.

I think most people would absolutely hate Asa for what he's done to Sloan, but I liked his character the most. Asa is...well, he's definitely more than a little fvcked in the head thanks to his shitty childhood and sorry excuses for parents. All he wants is a love who isn't his father's definition of a whore, and he wants that love to stay with him forever. He is by far the most interesting and dynamic person in the book. He did love Sloan, even if it was in his own sick, psychotic way. And he was brilliant, and definitely not "dumb as shit." The few times I read in his POV, Asa surprised me with his constant scheming. (view spoiler) His thoughts were so twisted, so utterly twisted, that I honestly felt a little sorry for him at times. I could understand what Sloan felt about him. Even though he'd use her like his own personal whore, he still wanted her safe, knew she was "special" and protected her. I can't pretend that I know everything about drug lords and schizophrenia, but I think the author did a truly amazing job bringing Asa's complex character to life, fatal flaws and all.

Carter, on the other hand, was boring. He was just the gallant knight in shining armor who swooped in to save the day. I never really felt like I connected with his character. I think Sloan just fell for him because he was the opposite of Asa, and he was what she needed during this very dark time in her life.

Sloan had so much potential, but at times when she needed her strength the most, she just broke down into a blubbering, sobbing mess, begging for Carter to save her. She would just cry and allow Asa to do whatever the hell he wanted. I wanted to reach into the book and yell in her face, GET YOUR ARSE OUT OF BED AND DO SOMETHING IF YOU HATE YOUR SITUATION!! (view spoiler)

But Sloan grew on me as the plot progressed. One of the last scenes in the epilogue of the epilogue was amazing! Initially I was thinking, WAIT. WHAT THE FVCK?! YOU'RE JUST GOING TO TAKE THAT SHIT WITHOUT GIVING AN OUNCE OF FIGHT?! but afterwards when the fucking brilliant trash can was revealed, I was like GOD YES YOU FINALLY GREW A SPINE OF STEEL.

This book was dark and disturbing. It was gritty and dirty. And I liked it way more than I should.

(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Late.

December 12, 2016 – Started Reading
December 12, 2016 – Shelved
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 13, 2016 –
page 5
1.27% "oh shit. this is so dark."
December 13, 2016 – Shelved as: new-adult