WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker's Reviews > Too Scot to Handle

Too Scot to Handle by Grace Burrowes

Jul 10, 2017

bookshelves: historical, regency, series

After a sick childhood, Anwen is used to being fretted over and cosseted. However, when the orphanage and boys she's dedicated her time to are in financial straits, her inner fire is about to be seen by all.
Colin never wanted to be a duke's brother and learning how a lord is supposed to act is wearing. Discovering Anwen is not the quiet shy miss everyone thinks her to be, though, has him intrigued.
Anwen and Colin will fight for what is right while discovering the strength of each other.

Second in the Windham Brides series, we're immerged back into the author's regency London. There are, of course, Windham's flittering about but nothing overwhelming enough to keep a new to the world and series reader from starting here. The previous book stared the sister and brother of our main couple, so while they were introduced, their romance starts here.

"You are a bonfire in disguise," he said, smoothing a hand over her hair. "An ambush of a woman, and you have polite society thinking you're the quiet one."

Anwen is the shy and quiet sister who everyone tries to mother because of a frightening childhood sickness that almost claimed her life. She was sweet and kind but I enjoyed how she delighted and took strength from Colin telling her he enjoyed her inner fire. A hero that sees something in the heroine that no one else has payed attention to never fails to capture my heart. Colin was just as sweet as Anwen and sympathetic in his willingness to try and adapt to ton life. They come together as friends who slip comfortably into more as their chemistry prompts their friendship to develop into love. It's a graceful falling in love and I admit to missing a bit of dramatics as the middle slowed a wee bit for me.

Our villain and who Colin and Anwen must both struggle against, was a frenemy to end all frenemies. As the author stays pretty true to the time period, I found myself frustrated at how sedate or proper our couple must act toward him, when I really wanted them to give the frenemy a strong boot to the backside. Everyone is levelheaded and sane; you won't be reading this for the drama but rather for a charming story of two misplaced souls finding each other.

I enjoyed the supporting cast of Windhams and orphanage boys who add immensely to the world and story. The epilogue is so complete; you won't help but happy sigh after reading it. Colin is above all else a good guy, Anwen's shy but inner fire will inspire you, and this tender story will pleasantly pass the day away. This story is ultimately about finding that one person who sees you truly for who you are and loving you because of it.
I'm looking very forward to the next in the series starring Anwen's older sister and a certain recluse duke.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Too Scot to Handle.

December 12, 2016 – Shelved
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
July 4, 2017 – Started Reading
July 9, 2017 –
10.0% ""Now you know what the ladies put up with year after year," Miss Anwen said. "We're seen as nothing more than half of an attractive couple, good breeding stock, decent settlements. Nobody refers to us as gorgeous settlements, even if a lady is an heiress. The higher praise she'll garner is 'decent settlements'. Be patient with the ladies, Lord Colin, for they are very patient with the gentlemen.""
July 9, 2017 –
50.0% "Desire simmered through Anwen, along with glee, wonder, and not a little surprise---she was a bonfire---but also gratitude. Her disguise had fooled her entire family, and even begun to fool her, but Lord Colin had seen through all the manners and decorum to the flame burning at her center."
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: historical
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: regency
July 10, 2017 – Shelved as: series
July 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei Great rev Kyra! :)
When I saw your 3.5 stars I was afraid that there would be something seriously wrong with the book. Now I'm happy to see that it is not so! :)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker 3.5 is pretty high praise from me! :)

message 3: by Mei (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mei Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar wrote: "3.5 is pretty high praise from me! :)"

Hihihi! I'll remeber that! :-)

message 4: by Bubu (last edited Jul 11, 2017 02:48AM) (new)

Bubu Hmmm, Grace Burrowes is in the same league as Mary Balogh, Katherine Ashe or Caroline Linden, though I don't know how close they are in terms of style and depth. The books constantly pop up, the reviews are mostly positive, people recommend them to me, but I don't know why, I just can't get myself to read them. Maybe it's the high expectations.

Lovely review.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Burrowes is always good but her books aren't flashy, I hope I'm not damning her with faint praise, lol. She can hit you right in the feels though and why I keep reading her. They're very gentle breeze swinging in a hammock reads.

message 6: by Gio (new)

Gio Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar wrote: "Burrowes is always good but her books aren't flashy, I hope I'm not damning her with faint praise, lol. She can hit you right in the feels though and why I keep reading her. They're very gentle bre..."

Brilliant Review. Kyra

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Thank you! Hope your week is starting off well :)

message 8: by Gio (new)

Gio Kyraryker/WhiskeyintheJar wrote: "Thank you! Hope your week is starting off well :)"

Life is good!! Thanks

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth I have two HR lined up in the next two months. Finally finding the groove again <3
This sounds really good!

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker Yeah! Team HR wants you back! Summer always seems to slow people's reading down, glad your getting the groove back. Enjoy the rest of your week :)

Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth Yesss! Been waiting for it to come back, finally!
Thank you, you too, K!

message 12: by Caz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Caz She can hit you right in the feels though and why I keep reading her.

*nods* You put it perfectly - I feel exactly the same :)

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker I'm pretty sure she is in my top 5 most quoted; gorgeous wordsmith.