destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]'s Reviews > Shadow and Bone

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, owned-physical
Read 2 times. Last read December 1, 2017 to December 30, 2017.

#0.1 The Demon in the Wood ★★★★★
#1 Shadow and Bone ★★★☆☆
#1.5 The Tailor ★★★★★
#2 Siege and Storm ★★★☆☆
#3 Ruin and Rising ★★★★☆

reread update: December 2017
This book was so much better the first time I read it. No, scratch that - I think my standards were so much lower the first time. It's not a bad book, but you can definitely tell it's from before Leigh found her groove, and the characters are mostly not enjoyable at all (aside from the Darkling, Genya, and Botkin). The "twist" still feels bad, and it's mostly incredibly boring.

---

Let me start off by saying that I enjoyed this book and am really excited to start the next title, especially because many people have told me that Bardugo's books get even better as you get further in. That said, here's why I didn't give it a 5 stars like I initially thought I would: I wasn't crazy about the big "twist" regarding a few characters towards the end of the book, and I will admit that it took a couple of chapters for me to get attached to it, just because there are so many non-English terms that felt a little similar to one another and I had a hard time keeping them straightened out at first. I also struggled to connect emotionally with any of the characters aside from Genya, so I couldn't bring myself to feel much emotion while reading this one.

That said, I did like the idea of the story and had a hard time putting it down. I felt like it was a really fast read, so I would definitely recommend it to anyone who's hesitant to commit to a fantasy YA series. Truthfully, I think I would've given this 5 stars if I hadn't read so many books that I was absolutely euphoric over lately (book hangover, anyone?). If the series gets better like I'm told, I've no doubt that Book #2 in the Grisha trilogy will get a 5-star review from me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow and Bone.

December 12, 2016 – Shelved
December 17, 2017 –
page 83
December 30, 2017 – Finished Reading
July 8, 2018 – Shelved as: owned-physical

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)

Melanie Mal is confirmed Satan! Amazing review, gorgeous! I can't wait to see
how you feel about the rest! 💖xx

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Melanie wrote: "Mal is confirmed Satan! Amazing review, gorgeous! I can't wait to see
how you feel about the rest! 💖xx"

LMAO! Right! He's so awful and I just... ugh. He's the #1 reason I've had such a hard time continuing the series. :(

Rosie I didn't like him either. He just got in the way all the time.

Lauren Chamberlin Just wait till book two when you meet Sturmhond!!!! 😭🎉😂

✿ Z A H R A ❀ this trilogy was a torture for me ; prepare urself for the rest 😭

Iryna *Book and Sword* If you thought Mal was bad in this one, just you wait. But, no matter how bad Mal gets- it doesnt matter because there will be a character that will make it all worthwhile 💗 p.s. i adored Genya

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Rosie wrote: "I didn't like him either. He just got in the way all the time."

He's so frustrating and just... UGH! And I hate the whole idea that he never "saw" her until she spent time with the Grisha and shit.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Lauren wrote: "Just wait till book two when you meet Sturmhond!!!! 😭🎉😂"

Oh no! lol now I'm a little nervous!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Z A H R A wrote: "this trilogy was a torture for me ; prepare urself for the rest 😭"

Because of Mal? Or just the series itself?

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Iryna (Book and Sword) wrote: "If you thought Mal was bad in this one, just you wait. But, no matter how bad Mal gets- it doesnt matter because there will be a character that will make it all worthwhile 💗 p.s. i adored Genya"

Phew lmao. Because he honestly drives me up the WALL. I hate to hear he gets worse but I'm glad you're saying it's worth it. And she was so wonderful <3

Ninosy  (Wonder Woman) Yeaah I gave it a 4 too ... read it last week...and very true about the emotional connection...

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Ninosy wrote: "Yeaah I gave it a 4 too ... read it last week...and very true about the emotional connection..."

Hopefully we both feel more connected to the second book!

Mercedes Roth I will go to my grave swearing she should not have been with Mal, he was just not a good guy. FIGHT ME!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Mercedes wrote: "I will go to my grave swearing she should not have been with Mal, he was just not a good guy. FIGHT ME!"

I honestly just want to punch him in the face ALL THE TIME

Caitlin Mal really annoyed me the whole series! Just ugh...

~vatana~ Mal is the epidemic of the trilogy and I am so willing to strike a deal with the devil to get rid of him. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed this book.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ So glad to see everyone hate Mal as much as I do lord that boy can just SHOW HIMSELF OUT

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Caitlin wrote: "Mal really annoyed me the whole series! Just ugh..."

tbh the first time I ever whined about him to a friend who had finished the trilogy, I was SO HOPEFUL that she'd be like "oh yeah man was I glad when he died" or some shit so when she was like "it doesn't get any better!" I wanted to die a little

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] The Seventh Crow wrote: "Mal is the epidemic of the trilogy and I am so willing to strike a deal with the devil to get rid of him. Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed this book."

LMAO, I love this comment

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "So glad to see everyone hate Mal as much as I do lord that boy can just SHOW HIMSELF OUT"

I'm also pretty pleasantly surprised to see how NOT alone I am in my hatred for his general existence

✿ Z A H R A ❀ becuz of mal and alina thinking about him for sure !! becuz of whut happened to my favs characters ...!!

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Z A H R A wrote: "becuz of mal and alina thinking about him for sure !! becuz of whut happened to my favs characters ...!!"

No spoilers! lmao

Elizabeth BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE MAL???????

message 24: by Camile (last edited Nov 22, 2017 12:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Camile Souza (This Chamber of Books) Elizabeth wrote: "BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE MAL???????"

Haha I don't understand that either. I mean, it's not like a loved him or anything, he was just okay, but people seriously EFFING HATE his guts and I'm always confused by why exactly that happens.

Someone please explain this, I honestly want to understand what's so bad about him.

Alice Cai ^ same. He's not my favorite love interest by a long shot, but reading every review about how much everyone hates him is making me like him more by default.

Elizabeth Camile wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE MAL???????"

He's hardly even in the book and then when he shows up we find out that he was worried about Alina and that he joined the Darkling's search team in the hopes that he would be reunited with her. I literally don't understand. What the issue is. If anything I didn't like the Darkling, I thought he was just a pretty boring dude.

Alice Cai Elizabeth wrote: "Camile wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "BUT WHY DOES EVERYONE HATE MAL???????"

Maybe I'll like Nikolai.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] I’m glad you guys like Mal, but I hate how he interacts with Alina and I think he’s a boring character. *shrug* Different strokes for different folks, guys.

☆ Franzi  ☆ Say all you want, but Mal is a horrible person. His behavior makes Alina physically sick. I just started to hate him so much in the other books. The Darkling is the bad guy? Nah, baby embraces her power and encourages her.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] ☆ Franzi ☆ wrote: "Say all you want, but Mal is a horrible person. His behavior makes Alina physically sick. I just started to hate him so much in the other books. The Darkling is the bad guy? Nah, baby embraces her ..."

^^^ well said

Elizabeth ☆ Franzi ☆ wrote: "Say all you want, but Mal is a horrible person. His behavior makes Alina physically sick. I just started to hate him so much in the other books. The Darkling is the bad guy? Nah, baby embraces her ..."

Ah well, I haven't read the other books. Remember when the Darkling was like a terrible bad guy though? Haha.

I don't know! I didn't buy Alina's chemistry with either of them so I guess that's why Mal didn't bother me that much. But again, I only read Shadow and Bone.

☆ Franzi  ☆ Elizabeth wrote: "☆ Franzi ☆ wrote: "Say all you want, but Mal is a horrible person. His behavior makes Alina physically sick. I just started to hate him so much in the other books. The Darkling is the bad guy? Nah,..."

He is a murderous lunatic. I don't deny that. And yet in my opinion, he's the better man for many reasons.

message 34: by S.M. (new) - added it

S.M. Yair-Levy Awesome review! Xo

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] S.M. wrote: "Awesome review! Xo"

Thank you!

Heather (The Sassy Book Geek) Oh my gosh yes Destiny, I laughed forever at your comment about Mal at the beginning because it's SO FREAKING TRUE! I liked this one but it didn't blow me away or anything and I blame Mal! :)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Heather wrote: "Oh my gosh yes Destiny, I laughed forever at your comment about Mal at the beginning because it's SO FREAKING TRUE! I liked this one but it didn't blow me away or anything and I blame Mal! :)"

Lmaooo thank you Heather <3 He's the worst, I swear.

Zenki the Hermit Great review :)

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries] Zenki the Hermit wrote: "Great review :)"

Thank you so much! :)

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie Unfortunately, I read the Six of Crows Duology (100% due to your rec and review) and now I know how the series ends. Not sure if I want to get into this now!

message 41: by Melanie (new)

Melanie AND I LOVED THE DUOLOGY!