K.J. Dell'Antonia's Reviews > The Anti-Romantic Child: A Story of Unexpected Joy

The Anti-Romantic Child by Priscilla Gilman

A fantastic memoir of living with high-functioning Asbergers. Gilman writes about the ways her husband and son, both with Asbergers symptoms (if not a specific diagnosis) appealed to her extremely romantic outlook on life using constant references to her beloved romantic poetry, in particular Wordsworth--and then chronicles how her realization that the traits she'd seen as unique and magical were also symptoms--or maybe even just symptoms. The way she writes about how she herself manages to accept that a particular trait can be both symptom and personality is fascinating. I'm not going to lie to you--I am not a poetry scholar, and at times I was overwhelmed by the depth of the references, but I loved this book just the same. It's a memoir in the vein of An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination--literary as well as deeply revealing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Anti-Romantic Child.

Finished Reading