Julie's Reviews > The Sleeping Beauty Killer

The Sleeping Beauty Killer by Mary Higgins Clark

bookshelves: e-book, suspense, overdrive, mystery-shelf, crime

The Sleeping Beauty Killer by Mary Higgins Clark and Alafair Burke is a 2016 Simon & Schuster publication.

Another solid installment in the ‘Under Suspicion’ series!

This has quickly become one of my favorite mystery series. I’ve enjoyed the solo work of both these talented authors, so having them collaborate on a series together is definitely a winning combination.

In this fourth installment, Laurie agrees to take the case of Casey Carter, a woman who has spent the last fifteen years of her life in prison on a manslaughter charge for allegedly killing her fiancé.

But, Casey insists she is innocent and wants to clear her name.

While the show has never featured a case like this one, things are more complicated for Laurie, who misses her professional relationship with Alex, especially when her boss hires Ryan Nichols, an egotistical and pushy guy who is convinced Casey is guilty.

On a personal note, Alex has not only left Laurie on a professional level, he’s cooled their potential romance as well. Things get even stickier between the couple when Laurie begins to suspect Alex is trying to steer her away from this case, leading her to think he may be hiding something from her.

As usual this is a cold case, but it is unique because if Casey is guilty and new evidence comes to light that proves that beyond a shadow of a doubt, she can’t be convicted of murder because she has already served her time.

Not only that, it seems everyone believes deep down that Casey is guilty, even her friends and family.

This is an interesting set up and the tension between Laurie and Alex only adds to the suspense. The dynamic is a little different since Alex and Laurie are not working together on this case and Ryan is so overbearing, and unlikable.

The only thing that was slightly off kilter in this one, was Laurie’s behavior. Her personality was muted and she put up with Ryan's bluster far too long before setting him straight. Maybe she was just out of sorts because of the friction in her relationship with Alex, and her confidence took a hit, as a result. I do hope she snaps out of it though, and gets her groove back in the next installment.

I must confess I figured out fairly early on who the killer was, but I enjoyed seeing how Laurie and her crew put the pieces together. There were still plenty of surprises, twists, and stunning revelations, and I could not have imagined how things would eventually shake out, which was with a very tense showdown, and not just with the criminal case.

Overall, I think this episode of ‘Under Suspicion’ should receive very nice ratings.

4 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sleeping Beauty Killer.

December 12, 2016 – Started Reading
December 12, 2016 – Shelved
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: e-book
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: suspense
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: overdrive
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery-shelf
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: crime
December 14, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Julie Stephanie wrote: "Great review, Julie!! I enjoyed first in this series and hope to catch it up sometime. Glad to see you enjoyed this 4th installment!!!"

Thank you, Stephanie!

message 2: by Supratim (new)

Supratim Nice review, Julie!

Julie Supratim wrote: "Nice review, Julie!"

Thank you, Supratim!!

message 4: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Fab review Julie! :)

Julie Sandra wrote: "Fab review Julie! :)"

Thank you, Sandra!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Excellent review Julie! I read the first two books in this series and need to get back to these. It looks like they are getting better.

Julie Mary wrote: "Excellent review Julie! I read the first two books in this series and need to get back to these. It looks like they are getting better."

Thank you, Mary! The series has stayed pretty consistent. I'm loving it so far.