Craig's Reviews > The Damage Done: Twelve Years of Hell in a Bangkok Prison

The Damage Done by Warren Fellows

M 50x66

did not like it
Read 2 times

One star for some of the elements of Thai culture that I found interesting. As for the rest....granted, I've been a corrections officer for a while now, so I'm probably just biased, but I just didn't feel sorry for him. It wasn't just that he was trying to enrich himself by running drugs and feeding off of the addictions of drug addicts, although that in itself isn't very endearing, but his behavior prior to his imprisonment just showed Warren Fellows to be loathsome and excremental, as when he seduced the girl he had been more or less hired to watch by someone else who wanted her. She really thought he was how he presented himself and romantically committed herself to him, while he completely used her for his own gratification. As for his assertion that "I didn't deserve" the time he spent in that prison...well.... I won't deign to even involve myself in that discussion, but whether he deserved it or not, it is without doubt he certainly asked for it. He and his crew knew exactly what the consequences would be in the event they were caught. Yes, he had his reasons, but they were just the same excuses such people always make. And they are just that. Excuses.
And while I usually don't justify how I rate books, I will say I lived in Thailand for 3 years (2002-2005) and traveled throughout much of the region. And while the Thais, Cambodians, Burmese and Malaysians are, as a collective whole, a friendly, welcoming people, they are Asian and our sense of civil rights is something with which they are just beginning to develop. Just in Thailand, saying anything against the King will get you imprisoned; a special law had to be passed just so that you could carry money in your hip pocket in a wallet because it had the king's picture on the money (because carrying the King's image against your hip could be seen as infringing on His royal dignity). So Fellows mewing about how badly he was treated may be understandable, coming as he did from a culturally Western country where one expects to be treated with some level of humanity, but it's not as if he didn't know he wasn't in Kansas anymore.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Damage Done.

Finished Reading (ebook Edition)
Finished Reading
May 13, 2014 – Shelved (ebook Edition)
December 12, 2016 – Shelved