Matthew's Reviews > The Awakening

The Awakening by Kate Chopin

it was ok
bookshelves: required-reading-high-school, classic, least-favorite, read-more-than-once

This review is being posted mainly because of the awesome backstory. I actually had to read this twice in high school and didn't care for it much either time.

But, here comes my great story!

When I was a sophomore in high school I went out with this girl who eventually dumped me and gave the reason that she was only going out with me until the guy she really liked showed interest in her. A real downer!

Fast forward to senior year . . .

I was in theater and I just so happened to do shows at the all girls school where the aforementioned girl went. After a performance (I was Albert Peterson in Bye Bye Birdie), she came up to me and said that she needed to talk to me and that she was interested in me attending prom with her!?? WHAT!?? I hadn't talked to her in a couple of years . . . my mind was blown!

I said yes, but I was skeptical . . .

While at prom she sat me down for "the talk". She said that she felt terrible for what she did to me. She said that while reading The Awakening, she started to realize that I was really good to her and being the place holder for this other guy was not fair to me. *VINDICATED!* She wrote an essay about what she had done to me and how the book had opened her eyes (an awakening, perhaps???). This essay ended up winning some sort of state-wide competition. *Feeling pretty great by this point!*

Epilogue

She came up to me at the end of the prom and asked me if she could leave with another guy who she has been kind of interested in for awhile . . . (you can't make this stuff up!) So, I got my vindication, but history repeated itself - at least I wasn't officially dating her this time!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Awakening.

Finished Reading
December 12, 2016 – Shelved
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: required-reading-high-school
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: classic
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: least-favorite
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: read-more-than-once

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* Bummer Matthew...did you ever come across her again?

Matthew Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "Bummer Matthew...did you ever come across her again?"

Yeah . . . she's my friend on Facebook. Actually - I don't hold her any ill will. It was just high school! :)

Laura I think I've enjoyed reading your review more than the actual book.

Laura So, your review gets a solid 4.5 stars, since you didn't mention specific names I had to bump you down from a 5. Haha!

Matthew Laura wrote: "So, your review gets a solid 4.5 stars, since you didn't mention specific names I had to bump you down from a 5. Haha!"

Thanks! And understood . . . I will take 4.5 stars any day! :)

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Barnes Great review, you should write your own book.

Julie Ehlers But it could have been such a wonderful life! She could have been Mrs. Peterson. Mrs. Albert Peterson. Mrs. Phi Beta Kappa Peterson. The English teacher's wife. (Sorry, I tried to resist but couldn't.)

Cathrine ☯️ Best story to go with a book
award.

message 9: by Josen (new)

Josen hahaha! That is the best story! I think I'll just stick to your review and not read the book. :)

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ Love the story! Some people will never learn (not you, her).

Matthew Diane wrote: "Great review, you should write your own book."

I have thought I have a few stories that would make an interesting book.

Matthew Julie wrote: "But it could have been such a wonderful life! She could have been Mrs. Peterson. Mrs. Albert Peterson. Mrs. Phi Beta Kappa Peterson. The English teacher's wife. (Sorry, I tried to resist but couldn..."

Matthew Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽ wrote: "Love the story! Some people will never learn (not you, her)."

We have grown up now, but at the time . . . Oh the irony!

Matthew Josen wrote: "hahaha! That is the best story! I think I'll just stick to your review and not read the book. :)"

Good idea - it was not great. I know some like it, though.

Matthew Cathrine ☯ wrote: "Best story to go with a book
award."

Thank you, thank you . . . I would first like to thank Catherine for her support. And Goodreads for not giving up on me!

message 16: by Alejandro (new)

Alejandro I'm glad that while the book wasn't any good, it was instrumental for you to share that priceless anecdote.

message 17: by PorshaJo (new)

PorshaJo Best story I read in a long time! (Yours..not the actual book. :-)

message 18: by C-shaw (new)

C-shaw Great story, Matthew. You are an admirable man for not holding a grudge against this flighty chick.

未知生焉知死 CZ2128 Delta It's a great back story indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Jenna Major Wow great backstory! I also had to read this in high school

Matthew Alejandro wrote: "I'm glad that while the book wasn't any good, it was instrumental for you to share that priceless anecdote."

Yeah - I wish all the books I didn't like had a great backstory - it would make them less painful!

Matthew Jenna wrote: "Wow great backstory! I also had to read this in high school"

Moot wrote: "It's a great back story indeed. Thanks for sharing it with us!"

PorshaJo wrote: "Best story I read in a long time! (Yours..not the actual book. :-)"

Thanks! :)

Matthew C-shaw wrote: "Great story, Matthew. You are an admirable man for not holding a grudge against this flighty chick."

Nah - bygones and all that. Ironically, she posted yesterday on Facebook that she felt like she was in high school again.

Matthew Stephanie wrote: "Omg, you are right - couldn't make this stuff up!"

I guess I was the perennial friendzone guy . . .

message 25: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ What a dingbat.