Tony's Reviews > Tigerlily's Orchids

Tigerlily's Orchids by Ruth Rendell

Jul 10, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: fiction-crime-detection

Rendell, Ruth. TIGERLILY’S ORCHIDS. (2011). **.
This is not truly a novel; don’t be fooled by the notice on the jacket front. It is the collected stories of the tenants of a coop in London that has six flats in it. They are either rented or purchased outright by the tenants. We get to follow the six individuals, or groups, through a relatively short period of time, and wonder why we continue reading. There is no main plot, per se. Most of the tenants are stereotyped, but even these are pushed to the limits of their characterizations. From now on, I will continue to read Rendell – for as long as she continues to write, that is; she is now 81-years old – but only her Inspector Wexford novels. Her writings as Barbara Vine have been spotty; when good, they are very, very good. When bad, they are...well, not so good. Overall, she is a marvelous writer except when she tries to toss off a novel like this one, although I’m sure it will be a best seller. She has a huge following.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tigerlily's Orchids.

Started Reading