Tina's Reviews > The Sun Is Also a Star

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

Dec 19, 2016

liked it

I'll give this book 3.5 stars.
First off, how beautiful is that cover art, I could just stare at it for a long time and feel content. Now on to the actual story and my opinion. What I loved most about this book is the way the story is told. The POV-chapters switch from character to character (and each one gets their own little symbol on top of the page!) It just gives you that insight into each and everyone connected to the story, either by fate, coincidence or some other (dark) matter. Even the smallest characters on the side get their story told. It made me think and wonder about the people I encounter in my everyday life, made me want to look twice at each of them and learn their personal story (why are they happy or why are they angry today? Why is he/she in a hurry? Where does he/she need to go?). The scientific facts mixed with beautiful wording in special chapters matched both of the protagonists in such a wonderful way - it all fit perfectly together.......and THAT is where my problem with this book was in the end! I just found it all a bit "too perfect", a fairytale that - for me - took this otherwise really cool story, about a day and fate of two people, out of the "real world" and into some fairy tale land where by countless coincidences everything magically falls into place. Don't get me wrong, I can totally believe that through fate people are brought together in a special moment, but not several special moments and more, almost all in one single day. That bothered me in the end and so I 1.5 stars of the "perfect rating" ;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Is Also a Star.

December 12, 2016 – Shelved