Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**'s Reviews > Sleigh Ride

Sleigh Ride by Heidi Cullinan

bookshelves: 4-star, boys-that-like-boys, talk-dirty-to-me, tie-me-up, whos-the-boss

***3.75 Stars***

This was a really great read....well, for about the first 70%....more on that later.

I have to say, I'm loving the theme of this series....physical opposites attract, but emotionally they end up having more in common than first impressions might show.

Gabriel is the town's new librarian...and by new I mean he's been there 18 months and has basically isolated himself from everything outside of work. Gabriel yearns to belong. He's tall, he's lanky, he's nerdy and he has some sexual desires that far from vanilla. He knows that the people of Logan know he's gay, but what would they think if they ever found out about the kinkier and dirtier things he likes in the bedroom. The shame he feels for those desires is the foundation to the walls he's built up.

Arthur and Paul, one of his best friends and fuck buddy, have gone their separate ways. Paul wants a relationship and that is nowhere near what Arthur wants. He wants to dominate, he wants to control...he wants to set a man on fire. He does not want strings and dates and obligations. Arthur is a simple man....he wants to work with his hands, live in his cabin and have fantastic sex....and maybe a little bit more, but no one needs to know about that.

After a rough introduction and bumpy acquaintance is formed, something about Gabriel's tenderness and thoughtfulness as he reads to the children at the library touches Arthur...thaws a part of his heart he's kept hidden from everyone.

And so begins the chase. However, what starts off as intrigue and attraction, quickly morphs into affection, care and a yearning for something more. Both men see their vulnerabilities as weaknesses, but they're drawn to each other and while hesitant to take that leap, they can't seem to stay apart for long.

I loved how rough-around-the-edges Arthur wanted to take care of Gabriel. He was attentive, patient and soothing with the right balance of supportive, affectionate and dominant. He wanted Gabriel to know that it didn't matter what people thought...what goes on in the bedroom is THEIR business and no one elses. He wanted Gabriel to see all the wonderful things about himself that Arthur saw.

Gabriel was such a gentle man. He loves his job and wants to help the people of Logan, especially the children, as much as he can. It's the one place in his life where he feels confident, knowledgeable, strong and proud. He may have brought out the softer side of Arthur, but Arthur helped him find his confidence, helped him accept himself and understand the strength he truly has outside of the library.

However, I do have a BIG grievance with this book. A large portion of Arthur and Gabriel's relationship stems from Gabriel's shame regarding what he likes in the bedroom. The first half of the book isn't overly explicit and filled with gratuitous sex, but it shows a different side to these men. Arthur's desire to control and chase, and Gabriel's yearning to be taken and let go of his inhibitions.

As the book goes on and emotions start to deepen, it evolves into being about the balance of kinky, dirty and possessive with tender, passionate and sweet. The two begin to admit to each other what they're truly feeling, their connection begins to solidify into something more and every encounter turns into a form of true intimacy....aaaaaaand we get fade to black for almost all of that.

I NEEDED to see this evolution of Arthur and Gabriel's connection. The fire that was building over the course of the first half of the book slowly began to fizzle for me. I was losing that spark, that extra layer of something that Arthur and Gabriel were giving me. I was losing the full emotional scope of their connection. HO HUM.

So, even though the last half left me a bit disappointed, I did enjoy the book. I loved seeing Marcus and Frankie again, and I can't wait to see what's in store for Paul...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleigh Ride.

December 12, 2016 – Shelved
December 12, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 13, 2016 – Started Reading
December 14, 2016 –
25.0% "Arthur opening up Gabriel to his dirtier and kinker desires....why yes, yes these two are going to be damn hot together!

Image result for nodding enthusiastically gif"
December 14, 2016 –
25.0% "Arthur opening Gabriel up to his dirtier and kinker desires....why yes, yes these two are going to be damn hot together! \n\nImage result for nodding enthusiastically gif"
December 14, 2016 –
75.0% "WHAT THE HELL?!?! Where did all the sex go? What's with all this fade to black nonsense?!?!?! I am NOT happy.\n\nImage result for unhappy gif"
December 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: 4-star
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: boys-that-like-boys
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: talk-dirty-to-me
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: tie-me-up
December 15, 2016 – Shelved as: whos-the-boss

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, Mirjana!

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Great review, Mirjana!"

Thanks, Arianna!! :)

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan  Fantastic review, Mirjana :))

Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read** Jan wrote: "Fantastic review, Mirjana :))"

Thanks so much, Jan! :D