sarah gilbert's Reviews > The Privileges

The Privileges by Jonathan  Dee

Jul 10, 2011

bookshelves: tin-house-readings-2011

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Privileges.

July 10, 2011 – Shelved
July 10, 2011 – Shelved as: tin-house-readings-2011
July 12, 2011 – Started Reading
July 12, 2011 –
page 10
3.88% "I bought this book because Jonathan Dee's ability to see into the self of characters utterly unlike him -- a woman of my age, a 12-year-old girl, a depressed salesman -- are uncanny. Also, private equity! Really! though I've just begun this book, I very much enjoy his shifting perspective; it's almost sleight-of-hand, how you go from one person's head to another, just enough to get at who they are, what they see"
July 15, 2011 –
page 52
20.16% "after the frenetic pace of the wedding, settling into (mostly) one narrator is simpler. there is nothing but empathy here for these people; even the unsympathetic ones."
July 18, 2011 –
page 65
25.19% "I shouldn't swear, but I'm really rolling my eyes here: I was so, so hoping this was actually a book in which finance careers were treated seriously. in other words, in which investment banking could be something other than being a broker. guess what Adam was before being a private equity associate? a fucking broker. damn it. (I'm sorry. everything else is great.)"
July 25, 2011 –
page 160
62.02% "though none of the characters, from a distance or treated (I'm guessing) in a movie, are at all sympathetic, I'm finding the close-in progression with them through their lives humanizes them -- lets us see all their worst, all their best, all the reasons anyone would love them. the characterization is masterful; the details of their lives, I'm watching with great interest to see how they all add up at the end."
August 7, 2011 –
page 258
100.0% "While I was rapt until the end of the book -- wanting more, even -- and certainly nodding my head as Cynthia and Jonas both stepped into separate paths of past-forgetting -- I was at the same time confused by the characterization. Jonas was the most confusing, having been training for a life as an indie musician and taking the climax of the book suddenly to outsider art. interesting -- but curious."
August 7, 2011 – Finished Reading