Christina's Reviews > Hounded

Hounded by Kevin Hearne

Jul 10, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy, audiobook

Eh. Pretty good book, but a little hard to get into at first. Atticus is supposed to be this nice 2000+ year old druid who has somehow maintained his humanity and is so sweet he helps out a little old widow in his spare time. I get that, but he also seemed pretty shallow and superficial to me. I just don't think his personality was very well written and I felt myself pretty ambivalent towards him for much of the book. The other characters were not fleshed out well at all and were pretty much just background noise.

There wasn't much in the way of explanations on how this world works the way it does. How is it that ALL gods in all the different religions are real and how does that work out? Why is Atticus the last druid? What happened to them all? I think it would have been much more interesting if there had been a little more info into how the supernatural world worked.

I love dogs and love when they're incorporated into books. Especially big, beautiful, noble dogs like the Irish Wolfhound. Having said that, I HATED the voice the author gave Oberon!!! Give Atticus and Oberon the magical communication, fine, but don't make Oberon sound like some big, dumb, doofus! I know it was meant to be funny, but it had the opposite effect on me.

I'm not sure if I'll check out the rest of the books in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hounded.

July 10, 2011 – Shelved