Karnika Kapoor's Reviews > Mrs. Dalloway

Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf

It was an interesting read. I tried to read this book before but just a few pages in it and I lost track of whose head I was in and I stopped. This week I decided to revisit it and it took me by surprise. I think it is a literary masterpiece.

It is a classic, though it is certainly not for everyone. It is not easy to read and one has to deliberately keep reading. As one reads by... the depiction attention span of human thoughts is splendidly demonstrated. It encapsulates the stream of thoughts so beautifully. Reading it was like being able to read thoughts of the characters. Fascinating how a lifetime and the socio-political set up can be represented with just the thoughts of few people in the timespan of a day. Brilliant!

The characters were realistic and neutral. Woolf is not attempting to make you like or dislike anyone in particular. It pays a good compliment to the stark thoughts and veiled social expression by the characters. The plot is not outstanding but simple, it is not the soul of this book. The plot is just as a prop to keep the poetic writing together. It has many symbolism and motifs included in and thus is a very thoughtful writing by the author.

I am glad that I read it. I recommend it to you if you like reading classics. but this is not a place to start reading classics with. In the end, I would say this book is a work of art.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Dalloway.

Quotes Karnika Liked

Virginia Woolf
“The cold stream of visual impressions failed him now as if the eye were a cup that overflowed and let the rest run down its china walls unrecorded.”

Virginia Woolf
“Love and religion! thought Clarissa, going back into the drawing room, tingling all over. How detestable, how detestable they are!”

Virginia Woolf
“She thought there were no Gods; no one was to blame; and so she evolved this atheist's religion of doing good for the sake of goodness.”

Virginia Woolf
“Rigid, the skeleton of habit alone upholds the human frame”

Virginia Woolf
“He thought her beautiful, believed her impeccably wise; dreamed of her, wrote poems to her, which, ignoring the subject, she corrected in red ink.”

Virginia Woolf
“One cannot bring children into a world like this. One cannot perpetuate suffering, or increase the breed of these lustful animals, who have no lasting emotions, but only whims and vanities, eddying them now this way, now that.”

Virginia Woolf
“For in marriage a little licence,a little independence there must be between people living together day in and day out in the same house; which Richard gave her, and she him.”

Virginia Woolf
“It was awful, he cried, awful, awful!

Still, the sun was hot. Still, one got over things. Still, life had a way of adding day to day.”

Virginia Woolf
“Everyone has friends who were killed in the War. Everyone gives up something when they marry.”

December 11, 2016 – Started Reading
December 11, 2016 – Shelved
December 11, 2016 –
page 75
32.19% "One of those books that has a prose so enchanting that it makes you forget the plot."
December 12, 2016 –