JanB 's Reviews > And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer

And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrik Backman

Read 2 times. Last read March 1, 2017.

A touching novella about a grandfather who suffers from Alzheimer's and his grandson. It's written in a stream of consciousness style, which would have become tiresome in a full length novel, but was perfect in such a short book.

This was both heartwarming and heartbreaking, maybe made more so now that I'm a grandparent myself. This was a lovely way to spend an hour or so. Highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And Every Morning the Way Home Gets Longer and Longer.

Finished Reading
December 10, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 10, 2016 – Shelved
March 1, 2017 – Started Reading
March 1, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

message 1: by Iris P (new)

Iris P Very nice review Jan, I am yet to read anything by this author but hope to do so soon :)

JanB Iris, you should and you'll be in for a treat. I would recommend A Man Called Ove as a great place to start.

Susanne  Strong Lovely review. :)

JanB Susanne, thank you!

message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat Tutt You're the second person I've seen give this a glowing review. It seems to have a lot of emotional impact. Beautiful review!

JanB Cat wrote: "You're the second person I've seen give this a glowing review. It seems to have a lot of emotional impact. Beautiful review!"

Cat, thank you! I hope you give it a try and enjoy it as much as I did.

Marilyn I've put a hold on this book at the library and will pick it up in a day or two...have to finish current book first.

message 8: by Alecia (new) - added it

Alecia Jan, this sounds lovely. It's going on my TBR list!

JanB Marilyn wrote: "I've put a hold on this book at the library and will pick it up in a day or two...have to finish current book first."

Marilyn, the good news is you'll be able to read this one very quickly :-)

JanB Alecia wrote: "Jan, this sounds lovely. It's going on my TBR list!"

It's a quick read and very touching...I hope you like it!

Marilyn JanB - yes a very quick read, however, I ended up reading it slowly because there were so many good phrases in it! I've post-its all over the place and want to copy them down. I've two grandsons, 18 and almost 16 and then a 4 month old granddaughter and I agree - being a grandmother, and having a mother and grandmother with Dimentia, this book struck a cord with me. I read that the author did not write this to be published but eventually did. He just wanted to write things down...

JanB Marilyn, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! Backman certainly has a way with words doesn't he? I didn't know he had no intention of publishing it....I assume because he has a parent or grandparent with dementia. Sad, but I'm so glad it was published.

message 13: by da (new) - rated it 5 stars

da AL "heartwarming and heartbreaking' - yes! well said, Jan

JanB da wrote: ""heartwarming and heartbreaking' - yes! well said, Jan"

Thanks so much da! I see you rated it 5 stars too - I'm glad we both enjoyed this one 😊

Angela M Jan, I do agree ! Loved this book !