Chibineko's Reviews > Go the Fuck to Sleep

Go the Fuck to Sleep by Adam Mansbach

Jul 09, 2011

bookshelves: cute, funny
Read in June, 2011

I flipped through this the other day at work, mostly due to all of the hype about it. People are either holding this up as the funniest thing ever or they're lambasting it for being so vulgar. It didn't entirely live up to the hype but it was still pretty amusing to read.

Anyone who has ever had to go through the attempt to put a child to sleep can commiserate with this book, whether they're a parent, an aunt, or even a babysitter or older sibling. The book goes through several different scenarios with different animals, with the book wondering why the heck their baby isn't going to sleep so they (the parent) can.

My only big complaint is that there's really not much here to warrant repeated viewings. Read it once or twice & you've pretty much well saturated yourself with the book. It's still a little funny each time you read it, but considering that the book costs anywhere from eight to fifteen dollars (depending on where you go) it's not really going to be enough for most people to want to purchase. This is pretty much a gag gift buy only.

My recommendation is to get it from the library and/or watch Samuel L Jackon's reading on youtube. Otherwise this is really only the sort of thing you get for new parents. It's awesome, but not really awesome enough for me to want to own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Go the Fuck to Sleep.