Ellen Isabella's Reviews > This Girl Is Different

Jul 09, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, netgalley, kindle, realistic-fiction, e-book
Recommended to Ellen by: Tasos Anastasopoulos
Read from July 10 to 14, 2011

THIS GIRL IS DIFFERENT!!!

Evie spends most of her education life being a homeschooled student. Now on her senior year, she decides to enter the public school to experience how it is being in a school. There she finds some facts about the injustice that happens in the school. She tries to stand on her own idealism, to fight for the justice and help others. But things don’t just go as what she has planned, she has to face some difficulty and accept that everything can be different in real life.

Evie grows up raised by a unique mother that teaches her a lot of things. She is described as a smart, brave, independent and an assertive girl. Those qualities that she has make her different from other people. She fights for the things that she thinks are right. She can’t stand when someone maltreats other because of power and authority. She always wants to defend other people and as well, to speak out against the odds to make a change.

From her experience in the new school, Evie learns about knowledge, friendship, love, heartbreak, betrayal and struggle. Others also learn many things from Evie. Evie’s actions have surely given a big influence to many people.

The story itself indeed is different. It points out the phenomena that often happen in real life but not many people really have the guts to vocalize those issues. Here in the story, it is shown that even a young girl can make a difference, that everyone can do a little something to make a change no matter how hard the situation is. It teaches us not to give up upon something but to fight for it.

The plot is told through Evie’s perspective that is really interesting. I liked how the story flows and how Johnson gives meaning to everything she has written in the book. I also liked the quotes given in every beginning of the chapter. They are inspiring and awakening. I found myself smiling to some parts of the story that are sweet and funny. I was somehow melted into the emotions that the characters feel in the story. The conversations are light but clever.

The ending is perfect for me, I liked it so much. Changes are finally made and done, a wonderful outcome of a wonderful effort. A great and professional debut from JJ Johnson!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read This Girl Is Different.

J.J. Johnson Hi Ellen,

Okay, clearly it's been a long time since you read 'This Girl is Different,' but I still want to say **THANK YOU** for reading, and for your fantastic review. I'm so glad the book resonated with you -- that means the world to me.

Cheers,