Siv's Reviews > Sweetbitter

Sweetbitter by Stephanie Danler

it was ok

I worked as a restaurant hostess for one short college-years summer, and that was more than enough restaurant work for me.

It was also enough to conjure specific memories - sights, smells, personalities, stress - while reading "Sweetbitter." I didn't like restaurant work, and I didn't like this book.

The writing was fine - specific, clever. But I am not a "bright lights, big city" kinda gal, while Tess claims the day she moved to New York was the day of her real birth. She longs for Big City adventure, and yet it seemed that her world got smaller and then smaller still. She repeatedly made stupid choices she could have avoided - ones she knew she should have avoided. That's not very interesting.

And the Big Betrayal she experiences just didn't seem that big to me. She chose awful "friends" who hurt her. But everyone, including Tess, is so clearly awful that it didn't seem surprising or even all that bad.

Honestly, this book was enough to make me want to avoid going to restaurants - the facade, the pretension, the dirt. I think I'll cook at home.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sweetbitter.

Started Reading