Nicole Field's Reviews > Dreadnought

Dreadnought by April  Daniels

bookshelves: netgalley, f-f

NetGalley Review

I loved this book. It had everything I wanted to read about in a trans superhero novel.

Danny is a girl who is painting her nails behind a shopping centre because that's the only way she can express herself as a girl in her transphobic family. Unfortunately for her, that's exactly where Dreadnought is killed by the supervillain, Utopia, and Dreadnought's powers pass straight across to Danny, making her appear on the outside exactly as she has always wanted to look.

This book went into a lovely, thorough look into the history of superheroes, and the ways that cities have been rebuilt in the wake of them. There are a couple of incredibly clever twists as the plot is coming around to its end, and it's incredibly believable dialogue make it an incredibly easy read.

As well as the overarching superhero vs. supervillain story, we also have the plot more personal to Danny's life. Coming back to her family's house after her transformation, and the far reaching consequences of that. Her meeting with the rest of the superhero team in her city. Going to school after her transformation.

I loved the character of Danny. Actually, I loved the depictions of every single character and the varying effects they had on Danny, except for Greywytch who was just too harsh to be borne even as a representation of what many trans individuals go through.

I am very much looking forward to the sequel to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreadnought.

December 9, 2016 – Started Reading
December 9, 2016 – Shelved
December 9, 2016 –
3.0% "Is it bad that all I'm thinking right now is of the Dread Pirate Roberts?"
December 10, 2016 –
13.0% ""You ever had a physical, kid?"\nI've had two in the past week. "It's my new hobby.""
December 11, 2016 –
24.0% ""I see a world that is terrified of me. Terrified of someone who would reject manhood. Terrified of a girl who knows who she is and what she's capable of.""
December 14, 2016 –
71.0% ""How am I relevant to your errand of madness?""
December 15, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 26, 2017 – Shelved as: netgalley
September 7, 2018 – Shelved as: f-f

message 1: by Crazy4Books (new) - added it

Crazy4Books Do you think the representation was accurate?

Nicole Field I did actually. Was very impressed.

Nicole Field Oh god how embarrassing. Have fixed that up ♥

Katie Pierce Haha I figured you'd want that corrected :)