Emer (A Little Haze)'s Reviews > Carve the Mark

Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth

did not like it
bookshelves: abn-readalongs, 1star, read2017, reviewed, trees-died-for-this-crap, young-adult

Oh dear!! Where do I start?????

Racial stereotyping and questionable use of certain imagery.
Ill advised plot lines that reinforce rape culture rather than expose it as negative
Unflagged trigger warnings.
And a romanticised depiction of chronic pain (something that is very personal to me).

But let's begin with the writing. Wow talk about dull! The first half of this book was so incredibly tedious. The pace, the plotting, the world building (what world building?!?!)... It just dragged. It felt uninspired, insipid, unimaginative, take your pick! Was this book set in space??? It didn't feel like that to me. One of the things that I really didn't like with regards to the writing was the format of switching points of view. It just did not work because it was so poorly executed. It seemed much too haphazard and really hindered the flow of the narrative.

So the basic set up is there are two races of people sharing some planet. They hate each other because *reasons* and hatred & drama ensue.

Okay. Controversy number one: Racist undertones
Many people have been incredibly offended by the depiction of the races in this book saying that it reinforces negative stereotypes within our society. There's a seemingly more civilised race versus a more savage one. Personally I found that there was enough nuance with regard to the diversity of the descriptions of the physical appearances of the two races, BUT, I think this may have been due to my prior knowledge of this controversy because I was actively reading looking for the differences. If you step back from the book, the overall impression of the two races is not so clear. And there were also worrying descriptors used to ascribe differences between characters, e.g. a reference to curly hair kinky enough to capture a finger which is reminiscent of the pencil test used during apartheid times in South Africa to ascertain skin colour. An inadvertent unconscious similarity??? At any rate, I think that conceptually this was a problematic idea. Because division of race, even in a fantastical setting, is going to cause issues within our own reality. It is going to offend. And surely that isn't the way forward? Basically at times I felt the book was not as carefully researched as it should have been and therefore did not provide a well thought out and sensitively structured system of beliefs for the people in the story.

Trigger Warning Self Harm At this point I would like to draw your attention to some ritualistic behaviours the Shotet people do regarding marking their bodies. In particular during chapter 13 there is a very detailed description of something that could be incredibly triggering to anyone who has issues regarding self-harm. While I personally am okay with the theory behind this behaviour I strongly feel that there should be a warning on the back cover of this book with regards to this behaviour. When are authors and publishers going to take some responsibility for the possible detrimental effects of the content of their published works???

Back to the story:
The three main characters in this book are:
Cyra, a Shotet girl who experiences chronic pain.
Her power hungry, villainous brother Ryzek.
And then there is Akos, a Thuvhesit boy fated to serve his Shotet enemy.

Let's start with Akos.... I've pretty much nothing to say about him. He was about as interesting as a piece of cardboard. Zero personality. One dimensional. Boring...move on!!!

Ryzek, the big bad. Likes to rape minds and steal memories. He could have been a quite chilling character but his portrayal descended into pantomime theatrics and a sensitive subject such as forcibly taking what you want and thereby violation of another person was very badly handled.

Next controversy: Rape Culture
So Ryzek rapes Cyra's mind thus causing the early onset of her 'currentgift' which leaves her experiencing chronic pain for which she is ultimately told is her fault because she feels she deserves this pain... That bother anyone else??? Reinforce the idea of victim shaming/blaming???

And finally, there is Cyra. She's an interesting character. It's a bold move to attempt to write a character suffering from chronic pain... But was it a move that paid off???
Well with regards to the storyline yes!
With regards to upsetting and offending sufferers of chronic pain then it's a big no.

Chronic pain controversy
So here's a little information about me.
Many of my Goodreads friends will know that from time to time I have mentioned that I suffer from multiple chronic illnesses. (Yes multiple.) And one of those illnesses in particular causes great physical pain. It causes more pain than I could ever possibly explain to you. My chronic pain took hold of my life when I was still a child almost 25 years ago. So I think that living with chronic pain for the best part of a quarter of a century qualifies me to discuss it.

My first problem with Cyra's chronic pain is the terminology used. It is frequently described as a 'currentgift'. In the glossary a currentgift is explained as follows: thought to be a result of the current flowing through a person, currentgifts are abilities, unique to each person, that develop during puberty. They are not always benevolent.
Isn't that last line about this currentgift not always being benevolent great??? As if it somehow excuses you from the offensive terminology of calling the suffering of the main character a 'gift'.

Here's a tip for you. Do not ever call chronic pain a gift. Even if it's in a slightly made-up word that you feel the need to explain in the back of your book.
What really annoyed me in this instance is how Cyra referred to her pain as a gift. I could accept anyone else in the book referring to it as such and put it down to their ignorance and then possibly have Cyra show why it should not be called such a thing... But she FREQUENTLY called it a gift without any hint of irony, derision or sense of injustice!!! Only once did she disagree, but then, instead of referring to the pain in some other manner, she continued on with this gift terminology. My pain is not, and will never be a gift. I will always experience pain. There is no out. And I am incredibly offended by even remotely suggesting that it could possibly be construed as a gift. Where is my gift receipt please because I'm sending this unwanted gift back!!!

Also, my chronic pain is not an ability. An ability???? I don't do magic tricks with it. Unless you want to see how easily I can swallow large painkillers with barely a mouthful of water so I don't vomit!!!!!

Okay. I get where the idea of this character is coming from. And there are aspects to the descriptions surrounding Cyra's pain that I really liked.
The pain was just part of life now. Simple tasks took twice as long because I had to pause for breath
Great stuff! The normality of everyday living changes completely when you live with chronic pain. You don't have an off switch from it, you have different levels of intensity and somehow you get through a day. And everything takes so very long. Even something as simple as getting out of bed in the morning can take hours. If anyone is interested in understanding more about the life of someone with a chronic illness I would love to direct you to "The Spoon Theory". It's a very simplistic but beautiful way of expressing what daily life can be like for chronic illness and pain sufferers. I would encourage anyone to read up on it so you can understand what normality is for those people like me who live under the radar with our invisible diseases. You can read all about it HERE.

So here's another problem with the portrayal of chronic pain in the book. It may be stated once or twice that simple tasks take longer etc but I saw no extended periods of fatigue as a result. Cyra was frequently able to fight in a gym type environment... Really??? Like ALL of the time????? Trust me. There are days that no matter how much you try to push through the pain you can't. You just can't. There is insufferable and unending fatigue.

Also, if Cyra was truly in as much pain as she was, she would absolutely have been an insomniac as was stated in the book (case in point I'm writing this review at 4am) but she also would have, at times, passed out from the pain. However, there was one lovely quote I liked that I could very much identify with: That he couldn't feel pain also meant he didn't know about the grey space just beneath consciousness that made it more bearable. I love that grey space. I frequently stay hours in that grey space and don't know where my day has disappeared to all of a sudden. So I needed more moments like this. More explanations to ground Cyra's pain in reality. Pain so often should have consumed her body so much that she would have laid there motionless until unconscious. You often cannot take the pain and that needs to be shown more. It goes to this whole romanticised notion of pain. How suffering is some great beauty.

That brings me to chapter 25 (mild spoiler ahead)
In this chapter Cyra comes to the conclusion that ultimately the gift is the strength the curse has given me... I can bear it. I can bear pain. I can bear anything.
This is insulting and wrong on so many levels. I know that ideologically this is a lovely thought. It goes to the idea that being someone living with pain and fighting through to live another day is admirable.
Look at how stoic she is, so brave, so strong....
So spare me your melodrama!!!
That is an idea for people who don't live with daily pain. It is there, to comfort them. To justify why some people live lives of pain and others don't. It goes to the notion that pain is a burden which is only given to those who are strong enough to carry it.
Not true.
Pain is indiscriminate. Pain corrupts. Pain infiltrates your every fibre of person. It changes you. You don't become strong you become institutionalised to it. You fall back on survival mechanisms. Don't glorify those mechanisms as some sort of admirable strength. I don't want to bear "anything" thanks. The pain is quite enough.
It also alludes to a dangerous concept that as pain sufferers we somehow have this skill or ability to take more and more and more. As if we should never feel that the pain is too much???
Trust me, with chronic pain the pain is MUCH too much, and this concept that Cyra thinks that her ability to bear incalculable amounts of pain makes her somehow strong is insulting.
It is okay to not be able to bear unending pain every day.
It is okay to feel like it is too much.
It is okay to need help.
It is okay to not have to suffer in silence.
It is okay to not have to be martyred by pain.

I would also like to have seen a greater emotional impact on Cyra of what it is like to live with pain for so long. I too was a child when pain took hold. I will never forget that first day of experiencing pain. What it was like ripping through my little body.
So where was the hatred? The bitterness?? The why me???
The only self loathing we had on Cyra's part was because of how she inflicted her pain on others and her guilt over that. (Btw, also offensive. I would never wish my pain on another soul so to say that that is something a chronic pain sufferer would do... Yeah... Not impressed!) But I would have much preferred this loathing to be based on the manifestation of her pain and not some outside event.

I haven't even touched on the idea that Cyra's love interest in this story lessens her pain which just adds this book to the myriad of other YA novels out there that tells the reader that love can cure no matter what ails you be it a mental health issue or a physical illness.... At the end of the day, this is a fictional story and Cyra does not suffer from a chronic illness per se (I'm incredibly aware that in future books there is a possibility for a narrative surrounding healing which I hope the author will not explore). But as this is fictional who am I to say that the experiences of Cyra shouldn't be written as they are. Veronica Roth has claimed that she experiences chronic pain and perhaps this is how she feels... It just is not my experience of life with pain and not the experience of many other people who live with chronic pain that I am familiar with.

On the whole this is a very problematic book.
It has issues with poor writing and character development to start with. There are potentially offensive racial undertones, an unflagged trigger warning regarding self-harm and what I believe is an ineffectual representation of chronic pain.

But I don't think that Veronica Roth set out to be racist or ableist or any such thing. I believe that she is just a writer very much out of her depth lacking in proper guidance. I feel there is a sad indictment on the publishing industry that somehow allowed this book to slip through editing and proof reading with the presence of so many questionable aspects.

So my last thoughts on this book are for Ms Roth and for her future writings.
In the words of the great Samuel Beckett:
"Ever tried, ever failed, no matter.
Try again, fail again, fail better."

one star

---------

Reading this with my favourite book group.

Some pre-reading/viewing surrounding the controversies:

Justina Ireland Blog: The Trope of the Dark Skinned Agressor

Saaba Tahir's defence of the racism issues

Veronica Roth's 'Carve The Mark' Is A Fantasy Inspired By Chronic Pain : NPR

This gift sucks Veronica, where do I return it. Blog post: Trout Nation

Video Chat Carve the Mark (in particular watch between 10 and 12.5 minutes)

It has also been brought to my attention how the "kill marks" that are placed on certain characters skin in this book could be triggering to anyone with issues surrounding self-harm. So if that is something that affects you please be advised.
Here are two of my Goodreads friends reviews that are able to better express the issues surrounding that:
Amber's review
Caitlin's review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carve the Mark.

December 9, 2016 – Shelved
February 28, 2017 – Started Reading
March 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)

Crisanda (Sapphire) How is it??

Emer (A Little Haze) Sapphire wrote: "How is it??"

Haven't yet gotten stuck into it Sapphire. Reading it with my book group. Hopefully I'll make some proper headway over the weekend but I'll let you know how it goes :))

Crisanda (Sapphire) Okay great :)

message 4: by Nina (Every Word A Doorway) (last edited Mar 05, 2017 06:25AM) (new)

Nina (Every Word A Doorway) This book has evoked so many controversies that I was a little put off. I was hesitant about reading another Roth book to begin with, but the whole drama about people debating whether it's racist or not, or whether it's disrespectful to people suffering from chronic pain or not, just really dampened my desire to read the book. Ultimately, I should probably read it and see for myself, but I just don't know xD

message 5: by Emer (A Little Haze) (last edited Mar 05, 2017 04:15AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Emer (A Little Haze) Nina (Every Word A Doorway) wrote: "This book has evoked so many controversies that I was a little put off. I was hesitant about reading another Roth book to begin with, but the whole drama about people debating whether it's racist o..."

Well that's primarily why I'm reading it Nina. One can never judge a book until you read it for yourself. But you can well imagine that I'm going to be all over the chronic pain issues like a bad rash!!! However, with things like triggers such as with the 'kill marks' and self harm, it is important that people for whom those issues are literally life and death know all about them before they embark on reading what in the blurb sounds like a fairly benign YA sci-fi/fantasy.

message 6: by Nina (Every Word A Doorway) (last edited Mar 05, 2017 06:27AM) (new)

Nina (Every Word A Doorway) Emer wrote: "Nina (Every Word A Doorway) wrote: "This book has evoked so many controversies that I was a little put off. I was hesitant about reading another Roth book to begin with, but the whole drama about p..."

Oh certainly, which is why I'm not judging it because how can I, not having read its content? But seeing the controversies just makes me want to focus on other books I know I am more likely to enjoy, if you know what I mean, especially with uni cutting my reading time in half. I'm definitely curious about whether you find the chronic pain references offensive or not! Ah, so the "kill marks" are featured as something the characters have on their bodies? I can see how that would be triggering. Good of you to point it out to potential readers of this book :)

Ant yet, of course, I hope this reading experience will be an enjoyable, thought-provoking one for you!

message 7: by Chantal (new)

Chantal  (Every Word A Doorway) Thank you for sharing all the articles, Emer. It's important people know about the controversies and can make an informed decision about whether to read the book. I personally have no interest in it (never had) and the controversies have made sure I will never read it, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Emer (A Little Haze) @Nina and Chantal Oh don't you worry. I will have plenty of things to say about this book when I'm finished. Not least the fact that it is painfully written!!! That seems to be overlooked with the controversies! Oh I had to read this though. I've been living with chronic pain since I was a child so I think this is the one occasion that I'm qualified to discuss that aspect of this fully.

Emer (A Little Haze) Sapphire wrote: "Okay great :)"

Full review is posted Sapphire! :)))

message 10: by Caitlin (new) - added it

Caitlin This review is honestly perfect. Thank you.

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell Really great review, Emer. :)

Emer (A Little Haze) Caitlin wrote: "This review is honestly perfect. Thank you."

Thank you so much Caitlin. I really loved your review regarding the self-harm issue. I hope you don't mind my linking to it.

Emer (A Little Haze) Nenia wrote: "Really great review, Emer. :)

That Justina Ireland blog is fantastic. That article in particular was actually what got me into her writing! <3"

Thanks Nenia! I don't really know of anything outside of that particular blog post by Justina Ireland but it is indeed a wonderfully informative and carefully structured piece of writing so I am unsurprised that her other pieces would be to a high standard.

message 14: by Kainat (new) - added it

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 And here you thought we never agree on anything. I haven't read a single word of this book and I already despise it.

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell Ooh, you should definitely peruse her blog when you have a moment. She writes so well; I feel like she's one of those people who can elegantly frame an idea that you always secretly had yourself, but could never put into completely concise terms.

Nina (Every Word A Doorway) Oh 1 star. Let's have a look. *reads review with the occasional raise of eyebrows or enthusiastic nodding* Sooo, my conclusion is that the book is not well written, is not well fabricated in terms of world-building and ploting, can be interpreted as racist if you're sensitive to the issue and not forewarned, can definitely be considered offensive with regard to the portrayal of chronic pain (as a gift, without putting it into question), even though Roth has stated that she suffers from chronic pain. Well, this was one of the most informative reviews ever. Not only with regard to the controversis but also that it doesn't perform as a story per se. Well done, Emer!

message 17: by Dolors (new)

Dolors Sorry to learn about your chronic pain through this critique, Emer. You more than anybody can speak about this matter and be the best judge of how it's portrayed in a story.
I see the novel had many other issues besides that point, and you've done an excellent job listing them. Quite an articulate, thought-provoking write-up, I like the firmness of your opinions!:)

message 18: by Reyes (new)

Reyes I'm not a fan of Veronia Roth and I had no intention of reading this, but oh boy, there are so many things wrong with everything you described that I don't know where to start... how could anyone in her team think that this book was a good idea? It seems like she has managed to offend everyone under the sun by the reviews I've seen on my feed :/ I'm sorry this touched you on a personal level in such a wrong way Emer :( Xxx

message 19: by may ❀ (new)

may ❀ What an exceptionally informative review, thank you so much for providing such analysis on the book and from your own experiences.
I'm super sorry to hear that you have to deal with such pain on a daily basis. ;-; But thank you, thank you, thank you for providing that insight.

❤❤❤

message 20: by Iving (new)

Iving Oh, Emer!! Why did you do this to yourself? After a few bad reviews I was like "nah, I'm not reading this." After your review though, I'm mot definitely NEVER going to pick this up! Oh, and I am so sorry to hear about your pain :( I hope there was a way to make it go away... thank you for sharing, Emer. Much love xxx

Emer (A Little Haze) Kainat Ijaz wrote: "And here you thought we never agree on anything. I haven't read a single word of this book and I already despise it."

Hahaha thank you Kainat! It is indeed lovely to agree on something for a change :))) although I don't know if I would say I despise it per se. There are a myriad of problems thusly deserving of the one star rating but there were some moments with regard to the chronic illness depiction that I did like.

Emer (A Little Haze) Nenia wrote: "Ooh, you should definitely peruse her blog when you have a moment. She writes so well; I feel like she's one of those people who can elegantly frame an idea that you always secretly had yourself, b..."

I will indeed Nenia! I love how you described that. Exactly how I feel about this Dark Skinned Aggressor post

Emer (A Little Haze) Nina (Every Word A Doorway) wrote: "Oh 1 star. Let's have a look. *reads review with the occasional raise of eyebrows or enthusiastic nodding* Sooo, my conclusion is that the book is not well written, is not well fabricated in terms ..."

Thank you Nina. There were just too many issues with the book for it not to receive a one star rating. Firstly a book has to entertain with its writing and the pictures painted by its words... for the first 65% or so this book failed to do that in the extreme which ordinarily would have had me rating it around 2 to 2.5 stars. So to add onto that both ill-advised divisions of race and cultural appropriations then the rating had to fall further... and then of course there was the depiction of chronic pain. I don't dispute that Veronica Roth researched the matter somewhat and indeed she does say she has experience of it... but the terminology used and the phrasings surrounding how the MC dealt with her chronic pain were quite frankly offensive. There were however some lovely moments of insight into life with chronic pain, I cannot deny that. But for me those were all too fleeting and I did not feel it was a wholly accurate portrayal. And ultimately I found the book to romanticise pain and made it into a sort of weirdly idealised superpower??? Just no!

message 24: by Sana (new) - rated it 1 star

Sana Love your review, Emer! Thanks so much for all this information. I didn't even know about half of the stuff you mentioned! >.>

Emer (A Little Haze) Dolors wrote: "Sorry to learn about your chronic pain through this critique, Emer. You more than anybody can speak about this matter and be the best judge of how it's portrayed in a story.
I see the novel had ma..."

Thank you Dolors. I really felt that I had to read this book given my own personal experience so I am glad you agree with me on that regard. As I was saying to Nina it was indeed the myriad of problems that forced my hand into rating this only one star. Many of the themes and topics covered just felt like very ill-advised attempts by the author to create a multi-faceted world for her characters. I firmly believe in the concept of research, research, research which would ultimately safeguard against many of the issues that cropped up in this book. Sometimes less is more.

Emer (A Little Haze) Reyes wrote: "I'm not a fan of Veronia Roth and I had no intention of reading this, but oh boy, there are so many things wrong with everything you described that I don't know where to start... how could anyone i..."

Ah thank you my dear friend. I suppose I should point out some of the more positive aspects of the book in that there were lovely moments regarding how it feels to live a life marred by chronic pain. But as I said earlier in my comments these moments were sadly all too fleeting and due to the vast problematic issues with this book I could only rate it one star. Xx

Emer (A Little Haze) мαүғℓσωεя wrote: "What an exceptionally informative review, thank you so much for providing such analysis on the book and from your own experiences.
I'm super sorry to hear that you have to deal with such pain on a..."

Thank you so much May! I am so pleased that my review gave you some insight into life with chronic pain because that is my main reason for reading and reviewing this book. *hugs* Xx

Emer (A Little Haze) Iving wrote: "Oh, Emer!! Why did you do this to yourself? After a few bad reviews I was like "nah, I'm not reading this." After your review though, I'm mot definitely NEVER going to pick this up! Oh, and I am so..."

Why Iving? Because I had to really. How could I not? I do fully appreciate and respect the idea that Roth had of creating a character suffering from chronic pain and in all honesty, she is the best thing about the book as she is the most developed of all the characters. But as I was saying to everyone else that the myriad of other problems with this book, along with some offensive stereotyping of pain, had to result in a one star rating. I do not regret reading it though. If only to shine a light from my little corner of goodreads on what it truly is like to live a life utterly dictated by chronic pain and illness. Thank you dear Iving, *sends love back* :)))))

Emer (A Little Haze) Sana wrote: "Love your review, Emer! Thanks so much for all this information. I didn't even know about half of the stuff you mentioned! >.>"

Thank you dear Sana! I really felt that the problems with this book had to be highlighted because as readers we do frequently miss things that are potentially hurtful and/or offensive to others because they are not always situations we recognise from our own lives. I know that it has occurred to me in the past regarding All the Bright Places, Me Before You to name but two instances. Thanks again lovely, let me know if you do manage to finish it. The story does indeed draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag!!!!! XD <333

message 30: by Crisanda (Sapphire) (last edited Mar 06, 2017 07:29AM) (new)

Crisanda (Sapphire) Oh Emer! Too few books address chronic pain and even the ones that do don't do it properly. I had no idea there were so many controversies surrounding this book. I probably would not have even picked up on some of the things you mentioned if I'd read the book without reading your review. Now I'm not even sure I want to. Thank you for taking the time and having the patience to write such a detailed review. xx

message 31: by Aimee (new) - rated it 1 star

Aimee Thanks for such an in-depth review. I hope that enough people read this and think more about the issues the book raises.

message 32: by Candace (new) - added it

Candace Robinson Ugh I will stay away from that one!

Emer (A Little Haze) Sapphire wrote: "Oh Emer! Too few books address chronic pain and even the ones that do don't do it properly. I had no idea there were so many controversies surrounding this book. I probably would not have even pick..."

Aw thank you dear Sapphire :))) I'm just glad that I could highlight in particular the issues regarding chronic pain. But to give Veronica Roth her due, she did create some good moments in this book that perfectly highlighted the way a character with chronic pain could think and feel. But sadly, these were just 'moments' and moments are not strong enough to make a character and their health situation feel authentic

Emer (A Little Haze) Aimee wrote: "Thanks for such an in-depth review. I hope that enough people read this and think more about the issues the book raises."

Thank you Aimee. Me too. That's why I wrote such a long review. I felt I was duty-bound in many respects because of my experiences living with chronic pain. Hopefully even from my little corner of GR I can help to cast a light onto those of us who always live in the shadows of ill health.

Emer (A Little Haze) Candace (Literary Dust) wrote: "Ugh I will stay away from that one!"

If you feel that it could be upsetting or triggering to you in some way then certainly stay away Candace. I just want people to be able to make an informed decision as to whether or not this is a book that they would like to read :)))

message 36: by TL (new)

TL fabulous and thorough review hun

message 37: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina This was such a wonderful, honest review from you. I've seen a lot of controversy about race regarding this book, but your review is the first I've seen about the depiction of chronic pain in this book. I really appreciate and love that you told more about your own personal experience dealing with chronic pain. When I do eventually read this (it's not very high on my TBR priority to be honest) I'll be much more informed because of this review. My hearts aches that you've been experiencing chronic pain for so long. Sending you a huge hug!!!

Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) That was incredible to read Emer! Thanks for that, and for that precise and honest yet funny tone that is always yours. Awesome review, I thank my GR feed for once showing me what I needed!

message 39: by Farith (new) - added it

Farith Great honest review!

message 40: by Jenny (new) - added it

Jenny I am no longer surprised with low rating of this book. I decided to not read the book since it was surrounded by so many controversies, and I had no interest in getting into a book with a negative impression. Love your review <3

Emer (A Little Haze) TL wrote: "fabulous and thorough review hun"

Aw thank you TL!!! *blows kisses*

Emer (A Little Haze) Christina wrote: "This was such a wonderful, honest review from you. I've seen a lot of controversy about race regarding this book, but your review is the first I've seen about the depiction of chronic pain in this ..."

Thank you so very much Christina. I've truly felt the embrace of your heartfelt hug and good wishes. I would very much encourage you to read this still. Because (and I'm focusing on the chronic pain aspect here) much and all as I don't think it is properly and sensitively described, there are some insights that people who don't experience pain can take from the book. My one request to you before you do get the chance to read it, is to take a look at The Spoon Theory. I linked it in my review but any internet search will bring up the relevant page as its top hit. But I think if you read that first (takes minutes only) in combination with the book it might paint a more realistic picture for you and I don't know about you, but I want my books to be both enjoyable and knowledgable.
Thank you again dearest. I always say it Christina but you invariably say the sweetest things to me on GR and on this occasion it means even more <333

Emer (A Little Haze) Sarah (thegirltheycalljones) wrote: "That was incredible to read Emer! Thanks for that, and for that precise and honest yet funny tone that is always yours. Awesome review, I thank my GR feed for once showing me what I needed!"

Thank you Sarah! I'm delighted to know that it wasn't a completely dour review. Couldn't be spamming up the GR feed with anymore needless drama than there already is!!! :P But in all seriousness, thank you my friend. Your words do mean a lot. Hope you're doing okay btw and that all is well in anticipation of the arrival :))) Xx

Emer (A Little Haze) Farith wrote: "Great honest review!"

Thank you so much Farith! :))))

Emer (A Little Haze) Jenny wrote: "I am no longer surprised with low rating of this book. I decided to not read the book since it was surrounded by so many controversies, and I had no interest in getting into a book with a negative ..."

Thank you Jenny. I was the direct opposite. I knew that I had to read it because of the controversies. I felt that I was duty-bound almost because of my life experiences. Hopefully lessons can be learned from this book and that more care and consideration will be given to the marginalised and unrepresented Xx

message 46: by TL (new)

TL Emer wrote: "TL wrote: "fabulous and thorough review hun"

Aw thank you TL!!! *blows kisses*"

message 47: by Aya (new)

Aya Hamza Great honest thought-provoking review, Emer! :)
I knew you wouldn't like it even though I haven't read it!! I am still considering read it because I am so curious to see the controversy myself!

I am so sorry that this book hurt you. *gives you a hug*
I myself experienced chronic pain for years in a part of my childhood and it is for sure not a thing can be called as "gift". Even though Roth said she had chronic illness herself, that's not acceptable!!

Emer (A Little Haze) TL wrote: "Emer wrote: "TL wrote: "fabulous and thorough review hun"

Aw thank you TL!!! *blows kisses*"

your welcome :) I wanted to give you a big hug while reading that (and chocolate hehe)"

I'd never say no to hugs and chocolate :)))))) thanks lovely Xx

message 49: by TL (new)

TL Emer wrote: I'd never say no to hugs and chocolate :)))))) thanks lovely Xx

:-) :-D

Emer (A Little Haze) Aya wrote: "Great honest thought-provoking review, Emer! :)

I..."

Thank you Aya. Well I went into reading this with as open a mind as I could have. Like you, I was curious to see the controversy for myself and especially when there were issues surrounding sufferers of chronic pain. Don't worry though lovely. The book didn't hurt me. Well not too much anyway. I will admit that one chapter in particular hit a little too close to the bone. I'm sorry that you know that type of pain too. And especially in childhood. It's such a hard thing to understand as a child and I really felt that that impact was glaringly missing from this book. Thanks again my dear friend <333

« previous 1