T. K. Elliott (Tiffany)'s Reviews > Roaring Blood

Roaring Blood by Ambrose Ibsen

Dec 11, 2016

bookshelves: fantasy-urban, reviewed

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Lucy (Lucian) Colt is back, and starting to learn a bit more about the side effects of his demon heart-transplant. He's also convinced he can kick serious necromancer... buttock... without any of that wishy-washy teamwork stuff.

If you want a main character who's an all-round good guy, who's nice to old ladies and upright and honest and all that, go and read a different book. Lucy reminds me of no-one so much as Flashman (a la George MacDonald Fraser), except with arrogance and recklessness instead of cowardice. What saves him as a protagonist, though, is that Lucy - like Flashman - is shatteringly honest about his own shortcomings. Lucy's voice as the protagonist-narrator is what makes these books. He's like that guy who you want to smack a lot of the time, but you still can't help liking him.

Plotwise, I thought the first book in the series (Raw Power) suffered from a bit of pacing problem. Ibsen has definitely sorted that out for this one: the action starts early and doesn't let up. There's lots of zombies, lots of violence and mayhem, right up till the very end. Admittedly, you won't find much in the way of complexity here, but sometimes, that's not what you want from a book. Sometimes, you want a likeable (sort of) protagonist and lots of zombie-killing, and that is precisely what this book delivers.

I'll definitely be reading the next book - Happy End of the World.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roaring Blood.

December 9, 2016 – Started Reading
December 9, 2016 – Shelved
December 10, 2016 –
December 10, 2016 –
68.0% "Enjoying this. Just what I needed. Lots of mayhem and zombie killing. And an MC who's a bit like a cross between Harry Dresden (ish) and Flashman."
December 10, 2016 – Finished Reading