Emily 's Reviews > Shades of Milk and Honey

Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf, fantasy

Super boring. 50% of the way through and there was still no plot. The writing is clunky, the conversations contrived, and did I mention boring?1 I quit. There's too many good things out there to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Milk and Honey.

December 9, 2016 – Shelved
December 9, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 17, 2017 – Started Reading
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf
May 18, 2017 – Shelved as: fantasy
May 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Ale (new)

Ale Oh ouch, I was considering this for the 'Fantasy of Manners' square in bingo, that may not be the case now :/

Emily A lot of people seemed to really like the book. It wasn't the most awful thing I've ever read, it just lacked a plot and was boring.

message 3: by Esme (new)

Esme Natural History of dragons could also be used for that square. i DNF this book as well

Emily I didn't like Natural History of Dragons either lol

message 5: by Esme (new)

Esme it was okay, i was able to finish it. I think its safe to say Im not a fan of the genre, dunno what it is.

message 6: by Ale (new)

Ale Ah, I had A Natural History of Dragons bookmarked for the dragon square (I'm already doing Ship of Destiny for seafaring), so I might need to look at the recommendations list again. I'm read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell and Tooth and Claw already, so they're ruled out as well :/

Ah, the perils of a well plotted out bingo card!

Emily There are tons of dragon books WAY better than a Natural History of Dragons! There are hardly even dragons in that book!

message 8: by Ale (new)

Ale Emily (BellaGrace) wrote: "There are tons of dragon books WAY better than a Natural History of Dragons! There are hardly even dragons in that book!"

What would you recommend that isn't Robin Hobb? :D I've already read Seraphina as well!

message 9: by Esme (new)

Esme my dragon square book is probably going to be Nice Dragond Finish Last, havent read it yet but ive heard its funny

Emily Emily (BellaGrace) wrote: "There are tons of dragon books WAY better than a Natural History of Dragons! There are hardly even dragons in that book!"
His Majesty's Dragon
Dragonflight
Gardens of the Moon (if you're up for a long challenging series that is amazing)
Song of the Beast

message 11: by Ale (new)

Ale Emily (BellaGrace) wrote: "Emily (BellaGrace) wrote: "There are tons of dragon books WAY better than a Natural History of Dragons! There are hardly even dragons in that book!"
His Majesty's Dragon
[book:Dragonfl..."

I read Temeraire up to book... 4 I think? So that could definitely be a thing. I do actually have Gardens of the Moon on my Kindle (99p sales for the win!) and I'm not adverse to a challenging series!

I will definitely need to reconsider this square.

Claire I didn't mind this book - it's very gentle and a quick, easy read. The Natural History one was dead boring and I think I only kept it for the amazing cover. Rachel Aaron's dragon books are fun urban fantasy. My fav dragon book at the moment is Dragon Queen by Stephen Deas.

Emily Ale wrote: "Emily (BellaGrace) wrote: "Emily (BellaGrace) wrote: "There are tons of dragon books WAY better than a Natural History of Dragons! There are hardly even dragons in that book!"
[book:His Majesty's D..."

Dragon Queen looks good - I've added it to my reading list!

[book:His Majesty's D..."

The Temeraire books are hit and miss the more the series goes on, but he's still one of my favorite dragons!

The Malazan books are amazing, but a ton of work. I had to keep notes as I read to keep everything straight!