Ramsey Hootman's Reviews > God Is Red: The Secret Story of How Christianity Survived and Flourished in Communist China

God Is Red by Liao Yiwu

Jul 09, 2011

liked it
Read from October 09 to 24, 2013

This is a strange little book. The audience would logically be Christians, since the book is about Christians and Christianity in China, but it's written by a non-believing Chinese dissident. So the tone and perspective is not at all "churchy." It's essentially just a number of interviews with various Christians in China, from house churches as well as the three-self church. The majority of these folks have seen and suffered a great deal, and their stories are worth reading. It's a definite counterpoint to the commonly held assumption that Christianity in China has been a largely negative imposition from foreigners - what this book reveals is that such beliefs are essentially manufactured propaganda put out by the CCP. What emerges here is a vibrant, self-sustaining Christianity embraced by surprisingly large portions of the Chinese population, most often by minority groups.

My only criticism of the book, I think, is that the stories come only from about three areas of China, so after a while the various interviews tended to blend together and seem very similar. I would have appreciated a broader view, but I understand that the author's resources were limited and conducting any of these interviews was done at the risk of his own personal safety.

Overall, I think this is an important record of how everyday people in China have experienced Christianity - a distinctly different view than what is commonly believed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read God Is Red.