Kirsti's Reviews > Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN

Those Guys Have All the Fun by James Andrew Miller

The most interesting stat in this book: About $4 of every monthly cable bill in the country goes to ESPN . . . even if the customer never watches ESPN.

"If you never cried when your team lost, you really shouldn't work at ESPN. You just won't get it." --Jean McCormick

"This place is really like an island of misfit toys, like who else would employ these people? What would they do?" --Steve Berthiaume

"Ted Williams was actually setting up snacks for us because he was afraid we would be tired, hungry, and thirsty after listening to him for an hour and twenty minutes. That was amazing." --Peter Gammons

"If we hire [Keith] Olbermann back, he first has to stand in the reception area and everybody who wants to, gets to come up and punch him in the stomach." --Rece Davis, quoting a coordinating producer

"Why are you ruining my life?" Tony Kornheiser, in response to being offered Monday Night Football

Oh, and Steve Jobs makes a brief appearance in this gigantic book . . . when he insults the guy who runs ESPN by telling him, "Your phone is the dumbest f---ing idea I have ever heard." (The ESPN Phone was a disaster.)

This is an extremely entertaining and well-sourced book, although I wish the structure was clearer. The "Those Guys Have All the Fun" title sounds less fun when you read the authors' coverage of the many sexual harrassment suits filed against the company.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Those Guys Have All the Fun.

July 9, 2011 – Shelved