Anita's Reviews > Lord of the Vampires

Lord of the Vampires by Gena Showalter

3202140

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, vampires, adult

GENRE: Adult – Fantasy/Romance
FORM: eBook – Net Galley
SERIES: Royal House of Shadows

While I was granted permission to read this book by a Net Galley affiliate publisher, Harlequin, I have received no compensation for this review other than the joy of reading!

SYNOPSIS: Nicolai has no idea who he is, outside of his name. He knows that his memories have been taken from him, that he is meant to be very powerful, and that he has been a sexual slave to the Princess Laila, and before her Princess Odette. What he does know is that he has a plan. Jane is a human who has been having reoccurring dreams about a vampire who has been taken captive. There is no talking in the dreams, she just sees him bound in chains. She knows that she feels compassion for him, and desires him. Dream becomes a reality when one day Jane receives a book that seems to be written by her captive vampire, and after reading it she finds herself waking up in a castle, and everyone around her believes her to be the Princess Odette. After succeeding in escape, Nicolai and Jane not only try and figure out who Nicolai really is and also do whatever they can to stay out of the grasp of Laila and her guards, but they explore the curious possessive nature each has for the other only to discover that their relationship began earlier than either realized.

REVIEW: This is the first time I’ve come across a Mini-Series where each installment is written by a different author. I’m not sure if there are more like this, but I think it’s a wonderful idea, a great way to read a favorite author or two and perhaps discover others. It all results in more great books to read!

Lord of the Vampires, was a very sexually charged story. Straight from the beginning, Jane and Nicolai exhibited a desire to own and possess one another without reason, even in their own minds. They have no idea that their relationship and attraction for one another had actually developed earlier, as both of their memories have been wiped. The story takes us on an adventure of passion, love and danger. Whether it an evil witch princess, over bearing trolls who have only one thing on their mind (their “little” head), or the sporadic flashing from one place to another that happens every time Nicolai gets a flash of his memory back, he and Jane are constantly battling one issue or another. The story is exactly what you can expect from Gena Showalter. I was a little bit afraid that this was going to be a little too similar to The Vampire’s Bride which was an installment of her Atlantis Series. a few years back. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was nothing like that series. The story line and premise are all its own!

WHAT I LOVED: The entire concept of the series is appealing to me. I’m excited for the other installments. I believe Gena Showalter kicked it off with a bang, and it will be interesting to see how this story will continue to play out.

NOT SO MUCH: I almost felt like there was more sex and sexual tension than there was story. The story that WAS there was excellent, don’t get me wrong, but I think there could have been more. And this is a rare ‘complaint’ (not that it’s really a complaint really), usually what is desired is the opposite, but it just goes to show, the story is very important.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lord of the Vampires.

July 9, 2011 – Shelved
July 30, 2011 – Started Reading
July 31, 2011 –
page 65
23.13% "Starts of fast and sexy..."
August 1, 2011 –