Lola's Reviews > Wild Game

Wild Game by Alisa Woods

bookshelves: books-that-i-own, e-books-on-ipad

Ever since I picked up Alisa Woods her River Pack series I've been a fan of her books, she writes paranormal romances so well and I was happy to start her Wilding Pack series now. This series is a spin-off from her River Pack series and in some ways it feels like a direct continuation of the previous series, but in other ways I think it could work as a standalone as well as everything you need to know to follow this book gets mentioned here. I still would recommend to start with the River pack series as then you know a bit more about one of the main characters and some of the side characters.

At the end of Jared the plot line for this series got set-up and here we get to see what exactly this means for the Wilding Pack. A person who calls himself the Wolf Hunter is encouraging people to hunt wolves and kill them. All the personal information of the Wilding Pack wolves has been posted online. It's quite nasty and we get to see how this impacts wolves everywhere. Nova her father has been killed and Nova is probably next on the list. Owen, who we met in the River series already, has been assigned as her body guard to keep her safe. The Wolf Hunter plot line seems to be a set-up for the overarching plot line of this series and adds a bit of a suspense element to the series. But each book also has it's own and the ending of this book nicely wraps a few things up while also leaving some things open for the rest of the series.

Nova is quite stubborn and even with the treat she wants to continue on like normal with the planned release of her upcoming game. She is afraid, but does her best not to show it, she doesn't want to let the Wolf Hunter see that he's getting to her. I liked that she was a game developer and it's obvious the author knows what she's talking about as all the talk about the game felt realistic to me as a casual gamer. I thought it was a nice touch. Nova has more problems than just the wolf hunter, with her father dead she is expected to choose a mate and lead the pack. She is torn between what's best for the company and what she really wants. She wants to continue the company how her father wanted, but to do that she has to keep the pack intact.

Owen has been through a lot of difficult stuff and we got to see some of that in the River series. I liked that we got to see his story in this book. He is afraid to shift as he isn't sure what he would turn into. Both characters have their own conflict and issues that stood between them and I enjoyed seeing how they worked through it. I liked Owen and Nova together, they had a lot of chemistry and even though there was a lot standing in their way, it was obvious they belonged together.

It also was fun to see some characters again from the River Pack series, mostly Noah and Jace. And it seems Noah his story is next. All these books have a similar set-up, but I don't mind as each book is still a lot of fun to read even when you can predict the broad lines. And the details really make these books shine. The characters really come alive and each book is well written and after finishing this one, I just hope I can read the next book soon.

To summarize: I really enjoyed this book. I would recommend this author to people who like a good paranormal romance book with a bit of suspense thrown in. This series is a spin-off from the River Pack series and while I do think it's best to read that first, it can also be read as standalone. One of the main characters Owen was already introduced in the River Pack series and I liked getting to see his story. There's someone out there who encourages people to act against wolves and it's a difficult time to be a wolf. I liked Nova and Owen together, both were fun characters to read about and they were great together. I also liked how Nova was a game developer. It was fun to see some characters from the River Pack series again. There is an overarching plot line for the series introduced in this one, but this book still has a good ending where the main plot lines for this books are wrapped up while leaving enough open for the rest of the series. All in all is this a great start of the Wilding Pack series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Game.

January 21, 2016 – Shelved ( Edition)
January 21, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read ( Edition)
March 5, 2016 – Shelved as: books-that-i-own ( Edition)
March 5, 2016 – Shelved as: e-books-on-ipad ( Edition)
December 8, 2016 – Started Reading