Edwin's Reviews > The Silver Tombstone

The Silver Tombstone by Frank Gruber

bookshelves: crime-fiction, pulp

A pair of somewhat silly grifter buddies Johnny Fletcher and Sam Cragg find themselves immersed in a caper involving a disputed silver mine, a mysterious old book, and a corpse in their car. An amusing romp in the style of of other 1940s hard-boiled-lite mysteries such as those by Craig Rice and Brett Halliday, propulsive plotting, witty banter, and humor. I'll keep my eye out for other books in this series, which are mostly out-of-print and unjustly forgotten.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Tombstone.

December 7, 2016 – Shelved
December 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 8, 2016 – Started Reading
December 8, 2016 –
page 33
22.92% "Working on the ebook conversion . . ."
December 10, 2016 – Shelved as: crime-fiction
December 10, 2016 – Shelved as: pulp
December 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Still I need to check & see if I have this. If not I'll have to get it via Kindle. Gruber is one of my favorites. For some reason, I prefer his Westerns to his hardboiled private eye novels. This one sounds very entertaining and in the W. C. Tuttle vein.

Edwin I created the ebook from the scanned page images, and since it's long out of print and the author is deceased I'm glad to share it. I have the scan of The Honest Dealer (Johnny Fletcher Mysteries) to work on, and I have The Mighty Blockhead in paperback.

message 3: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim I like reading reviews of the out-of-print books you review, gives me something to look out for at used book sales, maybe other books by the author if not those titles. I'd be interested in the ebook of this one that you created if you wouldn't mind sending it my way & agree with your reasons for sharing it, greatly appreciated the last ebook on another out-of-print book you shared with me, and it's always nice to get a chance to read a lost gem, or maybe diamonds in the rough as a lot of our pulps are best described.

message 4: by Bobby (new) - added it

Bobby Underwood You had me with "in the style of Craig Rice and Brett Halliday" so putting this one on my list.