Sue's Reviews > The Burning

The Burning by Jane Casey

Jul 08, 2011

I was excited to win this book from First Reads, and really looking forward to reading it as it sounded full of promise. When it arrived, I dipped into the first few pages, and was immediately hooked. I put it down quickly, and saved it for the following night, when I spent nearly all night sitting up and finishing it. I loved it - it's a real page turner.

It features Detective Constable Maeve Kerrigan, who is in the team investigating the serial killer nicknamed "The Burning Man". He preys on young women in the less salubrious parts of London. The characters are crisp and believable, and the plot is fast paced and intricate. Jane Casey has skills in the league of the masters of the genre, Ruth Rendell and Elizabeth George. However, unlike Ms George's books we are not set in the trendy, wealthy parts of London, but in areas unknown to most Americans such as The Oval and Kennington.

Very luckily, Jane Casey has two further books, "The Missing" and "The Reckoning" already published in the U.K., I believe also featuring Maeve Kerrigan in later cases. My daughter, Sophie, is currently on vacation in London, and I am seriously thinking of texting her and asking her to bring me back copies. That's how much I enjoyed it! Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning.