Helia's Reviews > Nowhere Near You

Nowhere Near You by Leah Thomas

Feb 01, 2017

bookshelves: contemporary, science-fiction, diverse-reads, age-young-adult

I described Because You'll Never Meet Me as something that 'grew on me like a flower grows from a flower bed'. The characters and all their peculiarities lodged themselves in my chest and stayed with me for weeks. Well, Nowhere Near You stole my heart. My heart now lives inside the pages of this book, and I doubt it will be leaving any time soon.

"Our relationship is not determined by proximity. We are boundless, Ollie."

It took me only a page to fall back into the story of Ollie and Moritz again. It was as if I never left. Their personalities were as loud as ever, in a way that ought to be jarring but in reality is heartwarming. There's so much darkness behind Ollie's light, and so much light behind Moritz's dark, and that was beautifully explored in this sequel.

My heart broke for these boys over and over again, and it did the same for the new characters they meet. All of them are peculiar like Ollie and Moritz, from the same frightening lab that produced them both, and yet they were all so overwhelmingly human.

I finished this book with tears in my eyes. As emotional and beautiful as it's predecessor, Because You'll Never Meet Me and Nowhere Near You are two books you need in your life. They may require a suspension of disbelief and a willingness to accept a blending of genres, but they are most certainly worth it.

Diversity Note: gay protagonist

Warnings: attempted suicide, death, child experimentation

An ebook copy of this book was provided to me via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

You can find this review and more at Rose Quartz Reads
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nowhere Near You.

December 7, 2016 – Shelved
December 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 31, 2017 – Started Reading
January 31, 2017 –
4.0% ""you remain as overwhelming as ever, Oliver Paulot." I love these two"
February 1, 2017 –
53.0% "After the first book broke my heart, why didn't I expect the sequel to do the same? Because that's what this is. Heartbreaking."
February 1, 2017 –
59.0% ""I nave never so badly wanted to hurt another person like I want to hurt this Max asshole." Same here, Ollie."
February 1, 2017 –
75.0% "Why do these books do things to my heart?"
February 1, 2017 –
80.0% "Okay there's absolutely no way anyone can convince me that Leah Thomas is not familiar with Spring Awakening now! A main character called Moritz? Characters named Melchior and Wendla mentioned in passing? I'm nerding out big time right now"
92.0% "Nonononononononono"