Michael McEvoy's Reviews > Temple

Temple by Matthew Reilly

2632052
Jul 08, 2011

it was ok

I FINALLY finished this book! In theory I think it sounds ok... It's basically two parallel stories set in different times, supposedly filled with action. But it was soooo slow to get going, I had already made up my mind that I didn't like it before anything really happened. Admittedly, the later parts of the book were suspenseful. But the main character found himself in about 10 near-death situations, and it became too predictable that 'at the last second' or 'at that exact moment' something would come along to save him. Even more annoying was the fact that this guy was just a university professor, and he seemed to be able to handle himself better than trained professionals in the army. At one stage they asked him what he was doing, to which he replied, 'saving the world.' Laaame! The title is also pretty deceiving. I was expecting most of the book to be set in a labyrinthine temple. Instead most of the action happened outside of the temple. I'm disappointed because Contest was so good. I don't think I'll be reading another Matthew Reilly book any time soon.

Ohh there are also numerous terrorist groups, one of which is a group of modern-day nazis (!) and they've created a weapon that will destroy the entire world. I mean really? The entire world? Why would they make/want to use that? And nazis?!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temple.

July 8, 2011 – Shelved
October 30, 2011 – Started Reading
October 30, 2011 –
page 15
November 2, 2011 –
page 70
November 3, 2011 –
page 70
13.78% "I do most of my reading on the train and now that uni's over I feel like I never read anymore."
November 15, 2011 –
page 204
November 22, 2011 –
page 250
49.21% "The version I'm reading is really 700 pages. This book is NEVER going to end!"
November 22, 2011 –
page 250
November 29, 2011 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Caellum (new)

Caellum LOLLLLLL "The entire world? Why would they make/want to use that? And nazis?!"