Cecilia's Reviews > Original Sin

Original Sin by Beth McMullen

Jul 08, 2011

bookshelves: pink-covers, standing-covers, unique-covers, silhouette-covers

I hesitate to label Original Sin as "chick lit" in fear that it might turn people off, but I didn't know how else to categorize it to fully encompass its awesomeness. Because awesome it truly is - and I'm not saying that because its main character can flip me over her shoulder and slam me onto an bystanding IKEA bed with a shattering crack! No, dear Readers, I say Original Sin will surely tempt you to stay up all night and devour it whole because it is truth.

Right from the start, I fell in love with Lucy. I mean, here is a woman who matter-of-factly defends her sanity even though we first come across her crawling around the lawn in search of an intruder during daylight hours. She even wonders if she is truly sane sometimes, but as they say, the truth is sometimes too crazy to even believe. A San Francisco stay-at-home mom who speaks several languages like a native, knows her way around with gun, and chased after evil arms dealers across the world? After three years of a normal life, even Lucy remains a little skeptical about her past as Agent 26, otherwise known as Sally Sin.

Lucy is irresistibly charming - although she'd probably scoff at that. Slightly bordering on neurotic, she still has the ability to poke fun at herself and at the life-or-death situations that she somehow stumbles into. Quite endearing. She is no femme fatale like Jane Smith or Sydney Bristow but a woman who honestly just wanted a life where she have to worry about Death breathing down her neck.

Original Sin was an amazing adventure that I would gladly go through again! At times, it got a little confusing when Sally would bounce back and forth from past to present - but for the most part, it worked well to introduce the other characters and then bring everything together to the grand finale. The writing definitely showcases the fun that Beth McMullen had with this story - and I am eager to see if there is a Book 2.

Wrapped up in all the good spy stuff and tied in a neat hilarious bow, Original Sin will win over those of us who love Alias, James Bond, Get Smart, and the Gallagher Girls series and wish we had more spies in our lives!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Original Sin.