Alyssa's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

4152087

it was ok

Reviews also on our site:Readers In Wonderland

This was not a good book to read directly after Grave Mercy.

Why?

Because even trying to compare this shallow, weak heroine with the heroine in Grave Mercy is blasphemy. Sorry everyone, this is going to be a somewhat rant-y review. This novel is just... bad.

After about the third time a "reaper" demon is compared to some expensive car in relation of size I lost all hope in this book. That was the straw that broke the camel's back and after laughing about the ridiculousness I realized I was actually going to have to read the rest of this.

I liked it up to page eight. If you look at my single status update I quoted the book:

"As I looked at him, I felt a certain fondness deep in my heart, but I shook the feeling off. I didn't know who he was." Cue stereotypical novel alert:

Proceed with caution!

(Pretty proud of my work in paint up there, if I do say so.)

So the book pretty much starts off with you knowing the brooding, mysterious, attractive stranger will play a key role as a love interest in the novel. His name is Will. Yay.

Of course, the main character (I actually can't even remember her name even though I just finished reading it, let me go look it up) Ellie, hates him at first yet struggles with her intense feelings for him.

Speaking of her, she is almost the worst demon fighting heroine I've ever read about (*cough* Besides Bethany Church *cough*) because she is whiny, scared, shallow, conceited, shallow, and did I mention shallow? She's pretty much everything to hate in a character except you might be able to relate to her. When you were thirteen or so. Such lines giving evidence to her shallowness are:

"I nodded, imagining what I'd do with tens of millions of dollars. Oh, God-the shoes I could get with that." (Page 118)

"'So you never told me what you want for your birthday,' my mom said. 'Lambo.'" (Page 10)

"That would teach that Harpy to think she owned the place-and Will! Not that I was territorial or anything. Okay, maybe a smidge." (Page 135)

There are plenty more, those are the ones I remember the most.

She, and all of her friends, drip money and their parents encourage such focus on material objects. When they happen to be around. Which is not often. Ellie's dad pretty much only shows up to argue with Ellie's mom and to say the meanest possible things to Ellie with no explanation. Her mom is totally a atypical mother, okay to her child throwing late parties with alcohol involved and isn't really concerned about her welfare.

The demon fighting in the novel was boring to me, which came as a surprise since I love that stuff. Maybe it was because I wanted the characters to lose the fight and die.

I wanted to like this! I wanted to like this so bad because I already have the sequel sitting on my nightstand. Even so, I know it would be a waste of time if it was anything like Angelfire. Even now it stares at me, trying to convince me it is a good novel. Nice try, Wings of the Wicked, nice try. I hear you introduce a love triangle and are even longer than Angelfire. Boo.

This book is one star for me but since I think I only disliked it so much after reading Grave Mercy I'll give it two.

On to better things!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.

July 8, 2011 – Shelved
September 29, 2012 – Started Reading
September 29, 2012 –
page 8
1.77% ""As I looked at him, I felt a certain fondness deep in my heart, but I shook the feeling off. I didn't know who he was." Nooooo! ALREADY?! It's only page eight! EIGHT!"
September 29, 2012 – Finished Reading